Monday, September 3, 2012

Summer 2012

                              "Do not dwell in the Past.  Do not Dream of the Future.  Concentrate the Mind on the Present Moment. "     Lord Buddha
                    
                     With much trepidation I packed my car on Friday for my first weekend in Maine for the year.  My trusted red leather weekender bought on my 50th birthday trip to Italia, a cooler of food, some wine of course, and tubs, boxes, and packing paper (in case this was to be my final trip to my beloved pond-side cabin) filled up my trusty Rav as I headed north.  Thankfully, even though it was the official start to summer, Memorial Day Weekend, the traffic was flowing so I tuned out to the radio, sipping my coffee. 
It's not just the sunsets that entertain me!
                Don’t our little rituals comfort and calm us?  As I neared the NH Liquor stores I thought, don’t need to stop, I have wine for the weekend.  But, that’s been one of my most favorite of rituals, stopping to stock up for the summer.  Even Food and Wine Magazine rates it as one of the best wines stores in the country.  And, I do have my new “wine cellar” that has some empty spaces.  So, I pulled in, and smiled.  Each month they have specials, 15% off already good prices in a mix and match case.  You would have thought they were giving stuff away the store was so crowded, but everybody was still smiling!
Welcome friends
 On the road again after my stop to fill up my wine cellar, my breathing literally changed as I went over the Piscataqua River Bridge (or simply the bridge on Rt 95 from New Hampshire into Maine) as it always does.  That was a relief, literally.   As I neared Portland, and got closer to one of the best Christmas Tree Shops there is, I decided to continue with my “beginning of summer rituals”, and stop in.  A happy shopping cart later, I was on the road again.   As I hit Gardiner on Rt 295, my foot on the gas pedal pressed down a bit harder, as it always did, as I knew I was getting close! 

                Passing all the, oh so familiar, landmarks actually were comforting.  I though as I always do, how can another year have gone by?  And, this one has been one of the toughest of my life thus far.  God help me, how many tough years does my little Family have to endure?  Pulling onto Pleasant Point Road (formerly, and in my mind, always, Fire Road 9) I literally held my breath.  As I rounded the corner and caught my first glimpse of Webber Pond for the year, I cried, but I quickly realized they were tears of joy, of peace, as this wonderful pond has brought me so much peace over the last 21 years.
                Finally, “home”.  Took a deep breath, walked in, and immediately started putzing!  Oh, I love it here.  I literally savored my first sunset of the summer on Webber Pond.  I decided that I would come to Maine many weekends this summer.  I allowed my little cabin to envelop and comfort me as it has done for 21 years.  I cuddled with my Puppy and swam with her in the Pond, read, wrote, walk, did yoga on the deck, aet, drank my wine, enjoyed my friends, and watched my sunsets.
              Now I am ready for my next adventure...
 
 

                                                                        

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete