Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Week 5 Halloween and other Autumn Pleasures

"Writers who are considered immortal or just plain good and who intoxicate us have one very important trait in common: they are going somewhere and call you with them...The best of them are realistic and paint life as it is, but because every line is saturated with juice, with the sense of life, in addition to life as it is, life as it should be.."
                                                                   Chekhov's letter to Suvorin  November 25, 1892

            After the wonderful night with Kristi watching, and celebrating, the Red Sox win the World Series, I was a bit lazy on Halloween until I headed to the Village to Marshall at the Village Halloween Parade Many people, Kris included, thought I was crazy.  My good Friend, and former co-worker had always talked about the Parade as one of her favorite things.  I went on Her advice.  It had been cancelled last year due to Sandy, so the T-shrts we wore were 2012’s, recycling at the best.  Luckily,i t was a  warm night.  I am so glad I went!  It was a bit raucous and rowdy, but much less than I expected.  I ran into a Friend from the Food Film Festival, also volunteering! (Have I mentioned how small this city seems to be getting?!). Very nice Lady (VNL) I worked in crowd control, etc was great.  When all of our floats were launched we walked the parade route amidst the throngs.  Great fun, so glad I was part of a true NYC tradition.  (I still have no desire for Times Square on New Year’s Eve..) 
From the New York Times
Friday I admittedly slept in, skipping my Memoir Writing Class.  Later in the day I headed down to meet my NYC Friend on Bleecker Street in NoHo.  We enjoyed a lovely glass of wine at Noho Star (corner of Bleecker and Lafayette) Then we crossed  to see Culture Projects’s production of Chekov’s “The Seagull” with Trudie Styler (Mrs.Sting) at The Lynn Redgrave Theater (45 Bleecker Street).  I love exposing myself to the classics, not just "popular" plays.  This was intense, not light-hearted, although funny at times.  Defintiey glad I saw it. (and the price was great as I got the tickets through Play  by Play!)
Saturday morning I once again joined my Philosophy Class. From there I did some food shopping, a job I have always hated. But walking to the Greenmarket (that I discovered is year round!) to smaller markets picking up odds and ends was actually enjoyable. It was a perfect Autumn afternoon so I went to one of my favorite places in my new neighborhood, Central Park, I walked for hours, watching all the people, enjoying the gorgeous colors, weeping happy tears in gratitiude. (So nice after all the sorrowful tears that I have shed in recent years.).  I also came upon a wonderful Artist who gracefully chatted and allowed me to take her picture. (www.trombettaart.com).
Post Marathon!
Sunday I had nothing planned, but very happily joined Kristi and her Friend in Central Park to watch Jess' Husband in the New York Marathon.  I had been reading about the Red Sox Celebratory Parade and the emotional time at the Marathon Route when Kris called..so I was feeling a bit homesick and melancholy..  It was perfect going over to Central Park once again to cheer on a wonderful man, Tom, in his race.  The NYC Marathon was also cancelled last year to Sandy, so it too, had a bit of an extra festive, if not a bit pensive air (and more security due to Boston’s Madness).
In the Mets's lobby
Silla: Korea's Golden KingdomWhile walking home I decided to pop into the MET (Metropolitan Museum of Art); one of the joys of being a member, just popping in for a quick visit.  I’m glad I did as it was the last day to visit the rooftop.  And, it was member’s day to enjoy a new Korean exhibit, which was very enjoyable.
 
The Moth Stage
At Grand Central
Monday I did some research, writing, and then headed to Grand Central to see a special popup of a new bath, body, and cosmetic line for Target.  The set design was quite impressive.  I was then headed to Brooklyn and had some tie, so I treated myself to a lovely cocktail at the Campbell Apartment’s Parlor.  Heading over to Brooklyn again, to The Bell House on 7th Street for their monthly evening of The Moth.  I enjoyed this night much better as I was able to sit, and surprisingly a few stories really resonated with me. (One Man, who has won awards at Moth events, spoke of his little Mom who was quite resilient, and a dental hygienist!  I did speak with him at intermission!)  From there I caught the last set of music at my Sojourn, surrounded by many familiar faces..

Ballet photos cutout_opt
Jennifer in the East Side OurToen newspaper

Tuesday I crossed the street to help out at the Yorkville Library working with  Seniors on Computer basics.  The truly lovely Lady I worked with was charming, and still works as an interior designer.  We have exchanged phone numbers and plan on getting together on our own!  I then walked down to the 67th Street Library and took advantage of a free adult ballet class.  It is led by a very interesting, kind Lady, Jennifer Grambs (who has started a website for the group: www. ourballetclub.weebly.com.).   Quoted to Joanna Fantozzi in East Side Our Town newspaper: "“Ballet takes us back to being lovely women and handsome gentlemen,” says Grambs. “We have to learn to love our bodies, no matter what age.”  It was wonderful, if not crowded, men included, as it is gaining in popularity.  Amazing how I felt like I got a good workout.  I do believe I’ll go back.
Later, I had a lovely surprise visit from Kristi!  We shared in some of the chili I made over the weekend and hung out for a bit.  Off she went.  T then headed across the street to Sojourn for some more of my live music…
Postscript:
This picture is a perfect example of what a small city this is.  I was explaining my fun experience at the Halloween Parade to Kristi and Jessica at the Marathon.  I showed them my pictures.  Some of them as crazy as the Parade is known for.  They know this young Lady.  She was in the first running of “Father of Songs, ”written by Marathoner Tom Slot!


 







 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment