Monday, July 7, 2014

July 4th

“Life has taught me that one’s most precious asset is the spirit of ‘independence at all costs’…The constant disposition to risk all in the interest of a conviction.”
                                                                             Charles James

What to do on a rainy 4th of July in New York City?  Why, go to the  MET, of course!  I wasn’t alone, but somehow there I can easily “ignore” the crowds, and zone into what I want to see.  On this day, I particularly was interested in the Charles James: Beyond Fashion exhibit.  Oh, it was awesome!  As much as his gowns blew away, I was almost as impressed by his words.  For instance: “Nothing restores a woman’s confidence as much as producing something which makes her look her best.”  And “My dresses help women discover  figures they didn’t know they had.”  I then treated myself to a snack at the Balcony Bar and read about a small Goya exhibit turned out be very enjoyable.  When I left the MET, the rain had stopped and the sun was out!

Which boded well for a small 4th of July party on a dear Sojourn Friend’s Rooftop.  Rooftops in NYC are a much loved treat, and bonus, of city living.  We didn’t have perfect views down to the Brooklyn Bridge (where the Macy’s firework display was set off from), but that was okay.  We had amazing East/West South views and saw firework displays along the horizon from the Bronx, through Queens, down to Brooklyn.  (One of the few times I wished I had a fancy camera.)  A really fun night with great new friends.

Went back to my new favorite roof deck to bask in the warmth and sunshine for a bit the next day, and then meandered over to Carl Schurz Park on the East River to read for a few hours.  It is amazing to me how People in this city use the parks as beaches.  Bathing suits proliferated on the bodies young and old throughout the park.  As my Girls and I decided later, we need some body of water to dunk in if we’re sun-bathing.

My Sojourn
Later meant that I met my Ladies in Brooklyn for dinner, as Katie had come to play with Kristi for the weekend.  We had a thoroughly good time, and dinner, at The Backyard in Park Slope where one of Kris’ best friends is the manager.  On the way home I popped in to Sojourn to have a night-cap and stayed until the wee hours having lovely discussions with my Friends there.  Sometimes, I feel like Sojourn is my extended living room.  I can’t entertain like I used to, well perhaps one or two people at a time, so Sojourn will suffice! 

After a luxuriously lazy day, by late afternoon I grabbed my beach chair and reading materials, and walked up to my Central Park to wait in line for Shakespeare in the Park’s “Much Ado About Nothing.”  The line was long, but it was a perfect summer day (I am so loving our summer, such a blessing after the brutality of the winter.)  I bought a lovely picnic (cheese plate, split of Proscecco, and a chocolate cupcake!) from the concessions at the Delacorte Theatre.  I happily settled into my chair enjoying my New Yorker, my treats, and the company of fellow line dwellers.  We were wonderfully entertained by a duo of violinists, then further along the line, a sax player.  Perfect.  The extra icing on the cake was scoring a ticket!  The production was excellent with Hamish Linklater and Lily Rabe (Jill Clayburgh’s daughter) leading a wonderful cast.  So truly glad I did it, especially as it was the final evening of this play. 
Much Ado About Nothing Set
 
My serenader!
(Earlier in the week, on the suggestion of one of my mentors from my Greeter Guide training for the Central Park Conservancy, I went to the Park in early afternoon to try and get a ticket.  I was not lucky.  But, one of the things I had vowed to do, and not done much of yet, was to start eating form the myriad food trucks around the city.  A Belgian waffle  truck sits just outside the Delacorte by the Great Lawn.  I owed it to myself.  The great young Lad who made my waffle serenaded me as he prepared!  Terrific thunder storms set in that night, so I didn't go back.)
Belvedere Castle (in the Park)
 Last post I was remiss when mentioning the wine dinners I’ve been to at my Sojourn, I forgot to mention Bob Fyke (Brunello Bobwho lovingly guides us through all the wines.  This is a love and passion, as by day he’s an engineer for ConEd!

  
I am loving my new home town more and more every day.  In the summer many, New Yorkers leave town.  I am loving my Summer in the City.

“There is NO GOING BACK.  Study the past to know why, dream and DO!  There is no short cut to creation.”                                    Charles James





No comments:

Post a Comment