Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Launch into Festival Season

“One of the things I learned the hard way was that it doesn’t pay to get discouraged.  Keeping busy and making optimism a way of life can restore your faith in yourself.”
                                                                                                                          Lucille Ball

Fall is gearing up to be fast, furious, and incredibly busy.  I now realize that “being busy” is what I do best.  As that famous Lady, Mom, has always said, “A busy person is a happy person,” which actually does bode true for me, most of the time..

Bernie teaching Geology
Iconic Views Tour
Keeping very busy with my new career/job, spending a lot of time in my Central Park (the kiosks), and always learning is good for me. Taking two different tours in the Park this weekend; one on geology where we learned about the last Ice age;  the Laurentian Ice Sheet’s (Glacier) move down North America; and seeing the striations it formed in the Park’s native Manhattan schist (the prevalent rock that Manhattan is built on) with familiar faces at both tours was a boon to my mind and soul.  The second tour was the Iconic Views of Central Park, which simply continued to reinforce my love of it! 


With my “small” world/six degrees of separation life, I will be working for a dear Friend’s niece at the Food Network’s Wine and Food Festival in mid-October.  That is the festival that kicked off my NYC life last year, and truly launched me into my life as a “Festie” (think “carnie”-carnival worker- but mine involves food, wine, or the arts of some sort; sometimes combining all of the above).  I’ll be spending the weekend on the Rooftop on Pier 92 on the Hudson River (another new constant in my NYC life, Rooftops, which I also love) as the volunteer coordinator (yet another new constant) for the Parties on the Roof: Ronzoni's La Sagra Slices hosted by Bongiovi (as in Jon’s family!); Brand Pasta Sauces & Adam Richman presented by Time Out New York;  Blue Moon Burger Bash presented by Pat LaFrieda Meats hosted by Rachael Ray; CASAMIGOS Tequila presents Tacos & Tequila: A Late Night Fiesta hosted by Bobby Flay; and finally  Meatopia X: The Carnivore’s Ball hosted by Michael Symon.


My diligence, passion, and work ethic is reaping in more rewards for me as I am on the team for the NYC Food Festival at the end of October this year as the Volunteer and Production Coordinator.  Already been hitting the road running for it exploring and getting tours of hotels, etc.

Gorgeous sky above Belvedere Castle

"Pink Floyd" Tribute Band
Using my Theater Extras, a dear Sojourn friend and I traveled “back to high school and college” by going to B.B. King’s to see a Pink Floyd tribute band.  Great fun.  And the food was pretty good as well!  My Library friend won tickets in the virtual lottery for the Public’s Delacorte Theatre in my Central Park for a wonderful presentation of the Fall for Dance Festival featuring New York City BalletHubbard Street Dance Chicago, and Bill T. Jones/Arnie Zane Dance Company!   Preceding it we had a delightful and relaxing picnic by Turtle Pond, under Belvedere Castle.  Meeting a friend in the East Village led to a late night with more music at Anyway Café , a small Russian café, on E 2nd Street.  More perfect NYC evenings.
Delacorte Theatre
Mitch with our10 lb lobster prepared 2 ways for us by Chef Ben!

An amazing long, leisurely dinner hosted by my Boss at Oceana in Midtown allowed me to meet and get to know Family members, co-workers and more associated with Initiate Care and rounded out a great week.  Executive Chef Ben Pollinger prepared an almost limitless supply of fresh seafood prepared in a myriad of ways.  Another thing learned:  I was always under impression that large lobsters were tough and not very tasty.  Untrue. Our 10 lb. Baby was tender and delicious, prepared two ways!  Executive Pastry Chef Colleen Grapes (a friend from the Food Film Festival) absolutely spoiled us with an amazing array of her desserts.  It was one of the most perfect evenings I've had in a long time.
 This wonderful early autumn (technically still summer) week finally ended on another high note with my Philosophy Friend at another street fair for the 92 Street Y, and lupper (late lunch/early dinner) at a great Argentinian restaurant, Liberatador, close by on 2nd Avenue.  Life is good.








No comments:

Post a Comment