Sunday, March 1, 2015

Holiday Happenings

                          "Give me such shows-- give me the streets of Manhattan."
                                                             Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass

Grand Central's Iconic Clock
Christmas-time in New York City is magical.  This is year, as noted, it was filled with more of a frenetic busyness.  In the weeks following my Cousins’ visit until Christmas Eve, I spent almost every day working for friends of friends at Grand Central’s Holiday Market, one of my favorite places in the world.
Sold this Lady right off my head!
Making new, dear friends while learning much about something II never honestly gave much thought to became a very special opportunity.  Swan & Stone Millinery is a true labor of love.  Two very special Ladies who met in a “Mom’s group” in Vermont, turned an avocation into a passion and company.  The respect I have for Sam and Nora in immense.  The sacrifices and way they are living their lives to give their children the best they can is admirable.  (Both ladies spent time in their early adult lives in Manhattan for school and the start to their careers.)  Learning to love hats and finding true delight in “selling them right off my head” has given me the confidence to actually wear them regularly.  (A necessity this winter!)   I have been getting a real kick, and pleasure, receiving compliments for their gift as I wear of one of their signature hats all over the city this winter.

My new bowl collection
(Did you know that dragon flies
are a sign of transformation?)
In between my times at Grand Central, and after work, is when I would gallivant all over Manhattan looking for the treasures for my new home.  One of my favorite nights was poking around Chinatown looking for bowls.  Weird, I know.  But I have a thing for bowls, have for years.  It was fun, and special, to poke around shops looking.  Finding them in a traditional grocery store, similar to a shopping trip in Boston years ago, somehow made me right at home in an “exotic” neighborhood.

My favorite theater company, Original Binding Productions (Kristi is a founding member!) had a cool, 60’s themed version of Shakespeare’s “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” as a fundraiser for a high school in Queens.  On the first stormy evening of the winter I had yet another Angel on my shoulder, as I’m not sure how I found that high school, but I did, and enjoyed the production immensely.
Tiffany's
From Bergdorf's display  
Forcing myself to do many of the things I love most about my city at Christmas helped me get through some tough moments.  Walking down 5th Avenue late at night (to avoid the crowds), soaking up the glittering beauty is always salve to the heart.  Sharing an evening after work with my new friend and Boss, Sam, from Swan and Stone; with “old” friends from Tuff Kookooshka (who actually made the introductions to my new employers) at one of my favorite haunts, The Campbell Apartment (right in Grand Central) was wonderful, indeed.


Owner Billy Gurney & the "Men"
Spending time in my Central Park at their Holiday gift shop, meeting and enjoying a new Lady, while spending time with another with whom I’ve worked in the past was fun.  My Food Film Festival Family and I shared a special night (which happened to be my birthday) at one of my favorite restaurants owned by a great teddy bear of a guy, at Hometown Barbecue, way over in Red Hook.  (Definitely want to spend more time there in the good weather.) 

From imdb.com
Even Rooftop Films stepped up to my plate by actually inviting me as guest (no chairs to set up!) to enjoy a special screening of an enjoyable, poignant movie, “Good Bye to All That." (Champagne was involved!)  The talkback with Director-Screenwriter Angus MacLachlan, Producer Ann Carey, and actors Anna Camp and Heather Graham was additional fun.  Something Mr. MacLachlan said in response to a question about what was next, struck me as interesting, and made me realize that even in film, it’s the very lucky and few who get to stop worrying about money.  He replied that he’d be going back to “obscure poverty.  Please spread the word about my film.”  (Sitting behind Kyra Sedgewick was like a cherry on the sundae.  No, her husband was not with her to dance for us.)  The screening also filled one of my “bucket list” of NYC sites to see as it was held at The Highline Ballroom, very cool.

King Cole Bar
Christmas day was a balmy 50 degrees, so Kristi and I walked over to my Park and actually sat outside to enjoy a glass of Proscecco by the lake at the Boathouse!  We then walked through the Park to midtown to meet her college roommate, and still best friend, at another special place, The King Cole Bar at The St. Regis Hotel.  (5th Avenue was a madhouse!)  We had a wonderful few hours before heading to the Zeigfield Theatre to meet our dear friends from Viola Street for opening night of “Into the Woods.”  There is nothing like seeing a movie on opening night in NYC.  The cheers, clapping, and general buzz of excitement are like being in live theatre.  Rounding out our Christmas evening, we shared Chinese food with our old neighbors up in Harlem    

With the help of my amazing movers, I changed my home from the Hx3 on E 79th Street down a few blocks to E 70th Street.  By New Year’s Day I was settled and looking forward to yet another amazing year in NYC, having rung in the New Year with Friends at my Sojourn.




No comments:

Post a Comment