Saturday, June 2, 2012

First trip to Puerto Rico (2011)

                 “We wander for distraction, but we travel for fulfillment.” – Hilaire Belloc                    

       I’m truly getting old.  The winter of 2011 about did me in.  If it hadn’t been for my Winter in Manhattan Odyssey I think I may have really gone a bit crazier than I already am.  I have developed a fear, bordering on irrational, of falling on ice and really hurting myself.  As much as the thought of being laid up for awhile, having to read all those great American, and other novels, and continue on my own quest of writing, it is an economical unreality. 
                       Never had I felt the need for sun and sand as much as did last year.  A couple of years ago during the last tough winter we had I did escape our winter for a couple of long weekends, and I now realize that made all the difference.  So, one of my dreams has always been to just go the airport, and get on a plane, anywhere…Well, now that I’m a bit more set in my ways, but really working hard to let go of the control issue, I modified a bit.  I put myself on the standby list for flights to Puerto Rico (thanks again JetBlue!), and started researching places to stay.  That is one of the absolute best parts of the internet.  It is so easy to explore, dream, and plan travel.  I use so many different places in my exploration, but my first go-tos are www.frommers.com  (when I buy travel books I head to them first and I had subscribed to their Budget Travel magazine for years), so I also go to www.budgettravel.com, and www.tripadvisor.com.

Andalucia Guest House
Andalucia Guest House
the courtyard
The Courtyard @ Andalucia
  I found my way to Andalucia Guest House.  I didn’t want to spend a lot of money, and I like the smaller inns and guest houses in most areas.  It got great reviews on TripAdvisor, and the area sounded good.  It was a great choice.  I flew down on the red-eye after work on a Thursday.  After an extraordinarily long day, I easily got a cab as not many people were around at 5 in the morning.  I finally arrived @ Andalucia Guest House and found my room (Emeo had left the keys in a mailbox for me), my room had the air   conditioning set to a comfortable level, and a soft light on.  Wonderfully welcoming!
Kasalta
Kasalta
  I woke the next morning at around 10 feeling drugged.  Made my way out to the front where Emeo was waiting with a smile.  He gave me a great detailed map of the area that he and Estaban, his Partner, have put together of the neighborhood, including recommendations on restaurants, etc, and then directed me down the street to a diner, Kasalta, that has been in the neighborhood for over 30 years.  He kindly understood I needed some coffee and food before I could be coherent.  When I came back after a lovely cup of coffee (albeit a small one), and a piece of guava pastille, I was ready to be communicative.  I finished the check-in process, and we chatted a bit.
Ocean Park Beach
Ocean Park Beach
        Emeo gave me the lay of the land, showed me where things were including beach towels, chairs, Boogie boards, and sand toys included.   I then lathered on sunscreen, packed up my beach bag, and walked the two blocks, through a suburban type neighborhood in one of the busiest cities in the Caribbean.   The beach was lovely, almost deserted, with the gorgeous aquamarine water and gentle waves rolling into shore that only the Caribbean can deliver.  I sat myself under a palm tree, day dreamed, read, and was blissful.

No comments:

Post a Comment