Saturday, June 9, 2012

Ice Out 2011

             "If you can't be in awe of Mother Nature, there's something wrong with you."
                                                                Alex Trebek

                 I am a very fortunate Lady.  And, I must say it is nice to finally empower myself to make “selfish” a positive word in my vocabulary.  In the first few months of 2011, I extensively explored one of my favorite cities in the world by creatively living in Manhattan for the winter.  I truly think that if I hadn’t given myself that gift I would be a bit crazier than I already am due to the wicked weather we Northeasterners endured last year. 
                Because of that weather, I came out of the winter craving sun and sand in a way I had never experienced before.  So, I treated myself to a long weekend in Puerto Rico, which was a first time adventure for me.  (Thanks to JetBlue and my Husband who is now working for that airline…thanks to me sitting him down and making him apply!).  Exactly what the doctor ordered. 
Ice Out weekend 2011
                In mid April, I sat with my morning coffee in my mental health retreat at Webber Pond.  Each year I manage to come a bit earlier.  Last year when I arrived the Pond was still covered with ice albeit not thick enough to do anything on.  I also got to witness my first “ice out!”  On the radio on the drive up I heard of fairs, and sales, in honor of ice out.  People, including my friends and neighbors on Webber Pond have a lottery, similar to football lotteries, on the date of ice out.  The person who guesses the correct date, wins the pot of money.  I’ve never taken part in that, but I did get to witness the actual thing.  Amazing. 

Loons on Webber Pond
                I thought that all the ice had to melt and evaporate.  It was explained to me that it actually gets porous and then sinks to the bottom of the Pond.  What I really want to know is, how did the Loons know?  Within an hour of the ice out, they were back on Webber Pond regaling us with their forlorn cries!   Mother Nature is really a Wonderful Mystical Lady!


Just a few weeks later..Fire Road 10


No comments:

Post a Comment