Sunday, July 8, 2012

Summer Eves in the City, on the Boston Esplanade

"One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain."  Bob Marley

Farmers Market @ Copley Square, pic from Dorothy W
            Every work day I enjoy one of the best views of Boston.  I look right out onto Copley Square, the park directly in front with the Fairmont Copley Hotel sitting behind it, the majestic Public Library to my right, and the historic Trinity Church to my left.  One of the things I love most about New England is our seasons.  I literally watch them outside my window.  One of the best treats is the Farmers Market that occurs every Tuesday and Friday from May through November  in the Copley Square Park.
            It’s is so tough for me after work to “make” myself “do” something besides pouring into the car for the trek home.  But a few nights last summer, I did, and am so glad.


Boston Landmarks Orchestra
Photo courtesy of Boston Landmark Orchestra's website
                   One of the many pleasures of Boston is the Parks system.  Wednesday evenings in the summer the Boston Landmark Orchestra plays at the Hatch Shell in the center of one of Boston’s beautiful parks, The Esplanade, which sits beautifully on the edge of the Charles River @ 7pm..  One of those Wednesdays, my Daughter and I met, had a lovely dinner at a newly opened restaurant, Tico @ the corner of East Berkeley and Stuart Streets, which I would call creative Southwestern style.  On the menu is the “Chef’s choice” which is 5 or 6 courses, decided by the chef each night.  Having been making too many decisions my whole adult life, it’s a treat to let someone else make them for me, so we  shared that options..wonderful decision.  We then meandered the few city blocks on sat on the banks of the Charles chatting, enjoying the glorious summer evening, watching the sail boats in the River, the sun set behind the buildings in Cambridge on the other side of the Charles, while listening to soothing Tchaikovsky.  What could be better than that?


sunset yoga 2011_1
Photo courtesy of Esplanade Asscociation's website
               Another Wednesday evening I strolled over to the Esplanade to take the free Yoga class offered every Wednesday evening at 6pm (there are actually free exercise classes offered almost every night.)  You couldn’t find a much more beautiful and relaxing space to unwind through yoga after a tough day at work.  A lovely group of people offered free coconut water and energy bars following the class!   I took the water gratefully and meandered over to the Hatch Shell and enjoyed the Orchestra again for awhile.  (I plan on heading over many Wednesday evenings again this year).  Walking back to my car in the South End took me by the Public Garden where I seriously contemplated walking through it to the Boston Common to watch a bit of Shakespeare, last year’s play being “As you Like It”.  Being truly exhausted by then I decided to forgo that for that night as I had set aside a couple of nights to just attend the play, which unfortunately never happened due to early evening thunder storms on both nights.  This year.

Photo courtesy of Boston Ballet's website
A third Wednesday evening, my Mom, K, and I met to enjoy another evening of Tchaikovsky, his Ballets, in conjunction with some beautiful Dance courtesy of the Boston ballet!  We had a simple picnic supper courtesy of the Food Stand right at the Esplanade.  It was simple, reasonably priced to fill the belly while enjoying the sites and sounds of these two wonderful Arts organizations.  A real treat!
            Check out www.esplanadeassociation.org for a complete update of activities..all free!

    

No comments:

Post a Comment