Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Sunset Cruise on Boston Harbor


"Solitude is the salt of personhood.  It brings out the authentic flavor of every experience."
                                May Sarton, Belgian-Amercan writer

View of Back Bay
                 As I have alluded to in an earlier post, finding myself “single” again is interesting, to say the least.  And, least is what I will do most of the time on my blog when it comes to what this year has brought for me.  Life is interesting, cruel, awesome, and wonderful, sometimes all in the same day.  So, on that somewhat deep and sometimes discouraging note, I am trying desperately to continue to enjoy and make my life worthwhile.  Because, if I don’t, no one else will do it for me!   

Tall Ship from Colombia
                July 4th in and around Boston is always filled with so many festivities, and activities, fittingly, since it is the birthplace of America.  (Actually, my own hometown of Milton is quite proud of the fact that the Revolution began here at the Suffolk Resolves House!).  This year, 2012, was especially celebratory as it was the bicentennial of the War of 1812, so in addition to the already numerous events, parades, etc, a Tall Ships Festival and Navy Week added to the festivities.

US Navy Ship
I decided that I must take advantage of some of the celebrations in Boston.   Harborfest, the Tall Ships, and Navy Week were actually a week long party, with many things to do.  Once again, I noticed on: www.Goldstar.com that there were many boat trips offered to see the action from the water.  Have you ever had the pleasure of seeing Boston from the water?  I highly recommend it as it is beautiful.

Customs House, Old North Church, the North ENd.
                I booked one of the boat cruises (at half the original price!) for sunset on July 5.  After work, I headed into the city, parked down on the South Boston waterfront across from the ICA (Institute of Contemporary Art) as parking is much cheaper than on the Boston waterfront, and it is a short, beautiful walk, especially on a summer day.  Of course, it was bustling and wonderful.  Boston is such a small city, but I don’t find myself on the Waterfront much anymore, and every time I do, memories of my Girls as small children come flooding back.  They grew up in that neighborhood as the Lady who helped me raise them, who I will be forever grateful to, lives there.


From the Bar @ The Sail Loft
               I had my book, and I planned to get a bite to eat before the cruise.  The restaurants right on the touristy wharfs were madhouses, and expensive!  I simply meandered through the waterfront park, “seeing” my Girls there. Oh my, it seemed like just yesterday.  I decided to go all the way on the nostalgia trip and went into the Sail Loft Restaurant, where we’d go many nights when I didn’t want to deal with dinner.  The lovely young Bartender told me they still had the best nachos in the city, but I went for a healthier dinner of scallops which were excellent.  (I sent the Girls this picture while I was eating, not saying where I was..they both texted right  back saying they wanted a Sail Loft nacho fix!)
Old Ironsides
               Happily satiated, I went back over to Rowes Wharf to catch the boat, and had a wonderful, if not truly bittersweet, Harbor cruise, catching the last of the Tall Ships and Navy vessels before they departed.  I learned a very interesting thing on that cruise.  Did you know that the USS Constitution, Old Ironsides, as we lovingly call her, still shoots its cannons twice a day, every day (not just on her yearly turnaround on July 4), at 8:00 a.m. and at sunset?!
Rowes Wharf




          

No comments:

Post a Comment