Sunday, August 5, 2012

Ode to Sunsets!

                                       “One day,' you said, 'I watched the sunset forty-three times!'
                                                           And a little later you added:
                                   'You know, when one is that sad, one can get to love the sunset.'
                                   'Were you that sad, then, on the day of the forty-three sunsets?'
                                                        But the prince made no answer.” 
                                             Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince

Sunset: Memorial Day Weekend 2012
            One form of literature I've never fully appreciated is poetry.  I think it's mainly because I don't "get it".  Of course there are the poems we all learned growing up, for me Robert Frost stands out.  Oh sure, I remember in high school being oh so deep and writing it.  But that was the 70's everyone was deep and writing poetry then, weren't we?  Or maybe in adolescence we are so intelligent and profound we all think we're poets?!

           Anyway, that all being said, I find myself wanting to dabble.  If you know me at all, you know that one of my favorite things in the world is sunsets, especially "my" sunsets at Webber Pond in Maine.  One of my dear Friends and neighbors in Maine thinks this is actually a very distinct idiosyncrasy on my part.  Whatever, I love them!  So here is my very amateur attempt in poetry.  My Ode to Sunsets!

Again @ Webber Pond






Sunsets are like wine for my soul.

Uplifting my spirits,

Nourishing me,

Soothing my mood,

Enveloping me with their beauty,

Treating me to their calmness and peace.
Yet another Webber Pond Sunset

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete