Monday, August 13, 2012

Volunteering

I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catchers mitt on both hands. You need to be able to throw something back. ~Maya Angelou

Boston Cares
Courtesy of Boston Cares website
                              Not sure if I’ve mentioned this, but a very positive way for me that I am “filling” my free time is by doing volunteer work.  I do much of it through Boston Cares(www.bostoncares.org) which I call a clearing house of sorts for finding volunteer opportunities. From its website: “Boston Cares mobilizes more than 25,000 volunteers annually in support of Greater Boston schools and non-profit agencies. We offer a wide array of programs and opportunities that make it easy for you to volunteer no matter how busy your schedule is.”
            I have worked in a number of food programs this way, including the Pine Street Inn, The Living Center, The Woman’s Lunch Place and Dinner for Homeless Vets.  If working at any of these places doesn’t put things in perspective pretty quickly, nothing will.
First Night Boston
Botton from 2011, couretsy of First Night Website
                Also, when I see something that interests me, I simply find it on-line and contact them.  Last New Year’s Eve I thoroughly enjoyed myself by volunteering at First Night in Boston.  I was placed on door duty and got to watch young dancers all night:  "OrigiNation/O'Shea-Chaplin: First Night Beat . OrigiNation is dedicated to promoting the importance of self-respect, health, nutrition, education and self-esteem, while emphasizing the impact that African influences have had on dance. Under the direction of Shaumba Yandje Dibinga, they specialize in hip-hop, jazz, tap, step and Caribbean dance. The O’Shea Chaplin Academy of Irish Dance presents their combination of traditional and contemporary Irish dance and costumes. Their performances have won accolades and awards internationally. These two companies dance together, in one of First Night’s signature pairings, for some explosive cross-cultural hip-step-hop.” ,
Volunteers picking up trash along the Boston Esplanade on Earth Day
Photo courtesy of Boston Discovery Guide website
         
   As I’ve mentioned, more than once, I’m quite a fan of the Esplanade so I spent a beautiful Saturday in the spring helping with their Earth Day cleanup.  Since I have done programs there in the past (yoga, etc) I was sent an email requesting help.  Gladly did it.


From the Emerald Necklace website
On a gorgeous Sunday in June, I spent the afternoon @ Franklin Park.  I haven't spent any time there since I was a child.  It is beautiful.  I happily helped out @ the inaugural event of Circle the City (and met some wonderfully interesting Ladies!).  From its website: "Boston’s Circle The City, an Open Streets initiative connecting people to parks, will launch this summer on three Sundays: June 24, July 15 and August 5. Featuring free activities for all ages that promote healthy, active living, Circle The City will draw people out of their homes and cars and onto safe, car-free streets to walk, bike, roll, play and celebrate some of our greatest urban resources—our parks." (http://www.emeraldnecklace.org/circle-the-city/)

Mainstage
   As a Boston Globe subscriber, I read for a few months about the inaugural Summer Arts Weekend planned in Copley Square in late July.  Knowing I wouldn’t be in Maine that weekend I contacted someone on the website who then put me in charge of volunteers.  I spent a nice Saturday late afternoon into evening (until the relentless rains unfortunately made the music quiet so I went home early) and all day Sunday settled in Copley Square instead of looking onto it as I do every work day.
              Saturday I was in the information booth, where I found myself not just handing out programs for the festival but fielding questions about all things Boston.  Have you ever really taken stock of how many tourists from all over the world come to our beautiful city, especially in the summer?
My view from the Staff Tent
            Sunday when I arrived there was no one to give me a chore.  I took it upon myself to re-set up the staff tent and just stay there all day.  As there were munchies and drinks readily available for any and all staff at the festival, I also had to ward off travelers, tourists, roamers, and homeless who thought the food was a free for all!  I got to chat with many different staffers and volunteers, again from all over, during the day.  When it was quiet, I read a bit, all the while being serenaded by live classical music being played by various groups from all over the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment