Friday, April 12, 2013

New Friends...

                   "Do not delay, the golden moments fly!"  Henry Wadsworth Longfellow         

Pil Pil
PilPil from Bobbie B on Yelp
After yet another grueling week (five day weeks are truly starting to “kill” me), I crawled aboard my trustworthy Bolt Bus and fell asleep.  I arrived at the Hx3 hungry, dropped my bags and went across to Sojourn for a bite.  It was a scene so I just ambled around the ‘hood.  Everyone is thrilled that winter is over as the streets and restaurants were teeming.  I finally saw a small, new place, tucked around the corner from 2nd Avenue on 78th Street, PilPil, a Spanish Tapas Bar.  After Rollo de Carne con Asparagus (beef roll with asparagus and mushrooms in a Rioja reduction) and a lovely glass of Sauvignon Blanc, I contentedly went home.
Saturday I happily went back to Jake’s letters for a few hours.  Then I took a long, slow bus (major construction on 2nd to finally complete?  the 2nd Ave MTA line) to Kip’s Bay Library on 3rd Ave and 31st St.  I am beginning to have a love affair with the NYPL system.  Besides the main branch on 5th Avenue and 42nd Street which is magnificent, there are branches in each neighborhood which offer an abundance of free lectures, courses, and events (including exercise and yoga).  I had read about this particular one “Create your ultimate life vision.” which definitely spoke to me.  Polina Solda, www.shestartsover.com.  led us in a really great afternoon of learning, sharing, and reaffirmation.  Following the discussion, I joined two of the Ladies and went a few doors down to 16 handles for yogurt and more getting to know each other, very interesting Ladies.  We exchanged emails and decided we’d like to get together some more!
From there I meandered up to Herald Square to see the Macy’s Flower Show (34th St and 6th Ave).  From the Macy’s website: Drenched in a spectacular palette of colors, this year's show evoked the inspiring architecture and vibrant spirit of southern Asia. I am so glad I did.  It was beautiful!
By then I needed real sustenance, so I headed south to the Madison Square Park area to try and finally eat at Eataly (www.eataly.com. ).   Built at the height of the recession, this Mario Batali, Joe and Lidia Bastianich team has proven that “if you build it they will come.”  (Kristi’s former boss, Dave Pasternak of Esca, is the “fishmonger” at Eataly).   If you can stand crowds and confusion (it is New York City, remember), I believe this has become one of New York’s must-sees.  There are many restaurants as part of this venture which don’t take reservations.  That night the wait was 1-2 hours.  The beauty of traveling solo, as I’ve said many times, is sitting and eating at the bar.  While waiting a few minutes for that bar seat, I started chatting with a lovely young Lady who grew up in Montreal and graduated from McGill a few years ahead of Katie.  As luck would have it, we got seated next to each other at the bar.   Another wonderful dinner at La Pizza & La Pasta (Gnocchi with braised lamb ragu and a gorgeous glass of Sangrantino from Umbria) shared with another awesome new friend!  (We also have shared emails with the plan to meet again for dinner.)
My day wasn’t over yet.  I had plans to meet Patients, one of my favorite Couples, at an art opening at the Jonathan Levine Gallery in Chelsea, 529 w 20th St between 10 & 11th Aves., 9th floor.  Josh Agle’s (Shag) work is very retro, 60’s Mad Men-ish with great colors, very cool.  The exhibit “Thursdays Girl” is up until May 4.  (Most works are already sold for $3-25K!)
Since I was on the West side I decided to pop into Valhala, 9th and 54th, to have a glass of wine with Kristi, who I hadn’t seen yet this weekend, while she was working a rare shift.  Finally time to head home.
Avery Fisher Hall
Avery Fisher Hall
Sunday I read, made a pasta sauce, and then went over to Lincoln Center (for the first time).  I had found $6 tickets on Goldstar, another great site to get discounted tickets to events in Boston, New York, and other cities. (www.goldstar.com).   I had a very enjoyable afternoon at “Calling All Dawns.”  (Although the trains and buses getting to and from were frustrating…getting to know the true joys of being a New Yorker!)
Came home, ate, read, and caught my late bus back to reality.  I gratefully slept the whole way once again.

 




No comments:

Post a Comment