Saturday, April 6, 2013

Easter

Do not abandon yourselves to despair. We are the Easter people and hallelujah is our song.” 
    Pope John Paul II
Empire State Building
Having been away from Manhattan for another couple of weeks, I happily got back on my trustworthy Bolt Bus after work on Thursday night.  And, score, it wasn’t crowded so almost Everyone on board got two seats to themselves!  But first I was able to pop into one of my Boston favs, Les Zygomats which is just a block from South Station, and have a glass of wine with a lovely cheese plate.  Kristi was up and working when I got to Hx3, so we had a nice chat and caught up with each other.
Friday we woke to sunshine, and mild weather.  Finally, another brutal winter is just about over.  I feel it more and more each year.  I love four seasons, but snow and ice is not as much fun as it used to be.  I will admit it, I’m aging and I’m truly trying to do it gracefully.  (Although Grace is definitely not my middle name..)
Kris went off to her busy day.  I went around the corner to Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf armed with more of Uncle John’s letters.  I spent a wonderful few hours, laughing, crying, learning more and more about my family, real faith, and Jake’s life as a Chaplain in the Air Force.  This project of love is starting to take on a life of its own.  It’s funny though as the weekend progressed, I slowed down on my reading as I know what’s coming.  Papa’s death.
Enjoying the Holi Festival
At the Holi Festival
One of my most trusted go-to’s when I am researching NYC happenings is Time Out New York.  Before I left the apartment I read:  The riot of color that accompanies the Hindu spring festival of Holi hits New York this weekend. The exuberant festivities (we're celebrating the triumph of good over evil, here) include traditional South Asian music, dancing and playing with powdered dyes—symbolizing the return of color in spring after the drudgery of winter (and what a dreary winter it was). Think of it like J'ouvert (daybreak)—the celebration that begins the West Indian–American Day Parade on Labor  Day—but at a more civilized hour.  So I went to: Holi at Solar One. This solar-powered, ecologically minded center on the East River holds a free, family-friendly paint-throwing party to mark the the Hindu spring festival of Holi. If you're heading to the fete after work, make sure you ditch the suit; the colors may (as in, probably will) stain clothes, but at least you can be confident the powder's not toxic—Solar One made their own from rice flour and food coloring.
Walking down to the East River to find Solar One, I passed one of the many nail salons of New York City, and decided I owed it to myself, and my piggies, to treat them after the long, hard winter.  As I’ve mentioned before, mani-pedis are one thing that can be had easily and relatively cheaply in NYC!
On the UN lawn
The UN
After experiencing my first Holi festival, I decided to walk.  And walk I did!  The festival was on 23rd Street, and I meandered all the way home to 79th Street.  Taking my time, and thoroughly enjoying the weather, the sights, just “being” in one of my favorite places on the planet.  As I found myself in my old neighborhood of my Winter in Manhattan Odyssey, I came upon the restaurant where Kristi and I celebrated after the infamous Co-op board interview for the Hx3 last summer.  Grata (1st Avenue @ 59th Street) had a sign out front for Happy Hour 5-7pm listing wine for $5.  I owed that to myself as well as it was now 6:30, and my stomach started rumbling.  I then learned that part of the happy hour was 3 small plates (tapas) for $18.  I contentedly ate my Shrimp in garlic sauce, Mussels marinara, and brought my Ravioli di Zucca (butternut squash ravioli in pink sauce) home for Kristi.  It was an extremely pleasant couple of hours eating, chatting with my bar-mates, and reading the friendly Bartender’s Wall Street Journal.  Meandered the rest of the way home happy and content.    
A work of Viorica Stan
Saturday afternoon I met Rafael of New York Gallery Tours on Greenwich Street in the West Village (I always get lost down there as the southern tip is not laid out in a grid like most of Manhattan.  Oh, but what a neighborhood to get lost in.  Recently, my Nephew asked if I had a favorite neighborhood in Manhattan.  So hard to say, as I love them all..but if money were no object, I think I would live in the West/ Greenwich Village area…hence why it’s probably the most expensive!) As always, Rafael gave us an interesting afternoon, and my Photographer friend Robin and her Daughter were also on the tour so it was an even greater pleasure.

Hugh Morris
One of the Galleries we went to was Westbeth, which is an artist’s colony started in the 60’s.  Before that it had been part of the Manhattan project!  I will be doing more research on that little colony.  We were very lucky as Hugh Morris and Viorica Stan (Husband and Wife) had a show up and they graciously spent time chatting with us.  We were even invited back to the closing reception that evening.  I was tempted!

On the Highline
The tour ended very close to the Highline Park and Chelsea Market.  So, I meandered through the Market picking up a few things for an Easter Basket.  (Yes, I still love making them for my Ladies!)  I needed some sustenance so I popped into a cute little place, Gaslight, right on the corner of 9th Ave and 14th Street .  I felt like I was in a quiet Grandmother’s living room from the early 1900’s.  I enjoyed my spinach-artichoke dip and sauvignon blanc before heading out to walk the whole Highline!  Then I was bone tired.  I crawled across to the East Side to grab a bus home.  (The 6 train has been down on weekends for repairs for awhile..ugh..Am I sounding like a New Yorker?!)


Entertainment in the Park
Sunday, Easter, I walked across Central Park to meet my friend for brunch at Nice Matin (W 79th & Amsterdam).  It has a great menu, hard to choose.  We had a lovely visit and chat.  I have mentioned how surprised I am at how many French bistros, restaurants, etc I am finding.  Well, a group of them actually call themselves “Culinary Tour de France".  I have been to a few.  I think I will make it a point to visit them all!
View at the bus stop
 
Finally, time to head back to reality.  Caught a bus across town to pack up and head out into the rain to catch my bus.  That was interesting..

No comments:

Post a Comment