Sunday, March 17, 2013

Ladies' Night Out!

                         "The best thing to hold  onto in life is each other."  Audrey Hepburn

I am blessed.  I have a wonderful group of Women in my Family who sustain, nourish, entertain, and love me. We had a wonderful, all too quick, night away to Portsmouth, New Hampshire this weekend.  I have been driving through this small city on the ocean for years, but have never stopped in.  It’s actually quite nice, and I will go back to explore again.
We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn right in the center of Strawberry Banke.  Arriving at different times during the afternoon, we all happily valeted our cars as we were able to walk everywhere.  Everyone walked over to, at various times,  Popovers, a very cute, great bistro where we had a light repast before our planned dinner later in the evening.  Then we all meandered the streets popping in and out of the great little shops and boutiques.

My Ladies with "Nonnie"
The Ladies
At 5:30, we descended on the Auntie’s suite for cocktail hour, or two.  It was so wonderful to sit, be, and laugh with these Ladies, three generations of them.  Finally at 7:30 we walked over to a wonderful small restaurant, Rudi’s. for an amazing dinner.  The Auntie’s don’t eat much.  My Mom says that she has almost no appetite anymore.  The lesson I learned there is that I must continue to enjoy my dining experiences now, while I still can!
Scallops @ Rudi's
Lamb @ Rudi's
Eleven Family Ladies gathered around a table eating, drinking, sharing was anything but quiet.  But, I do believe no one was bothered by us; even when I, not so proudly, l poured my full glass of red wine all over my poor Auntie.  She only drinks coke! (Although I did buy her a treat at the NH Liquor store.  During our wonderful trip to Ireland nine years ago we introduced her to Bailey’s Irish Cream, so she had enjoyed a taste during our cocktail hour). 
Cava
Cava's
Walking back to the hotel arm in arm, I had been forgiven immediately, Auntie did try to kill the party by asking if we would miss them (She and the other Auntie, my Mom), when they were “gone”.  Oh, my, hard to even contemplate….We deposited the ‘Ties at the hotel, and seven of us meandered the streets looking for a nice place for a nightcap.  We found it down a quaint alley in the form of Cava’s Wine Bar.
The Aunties/Matriachs
Finally calling it a night, we went back to the hotel.  Having a lovely late night chat first with the “Ties", then with my Sister in Law, led me to a great night’s sleep.  Sunday morning found some of us at breakfast, and some going for a brisk walk.   My Ladies and I were the first to leave as Kris had a bus to get to the Big Apple to catch.  A very quick, whirlwind night, but so very worth it.  Thanks Ladies, Young, Old and In-between!

No comments:

Post a Comment