Thursday, March 7, 2013

Film Festival

"Life's like a movie, write your own ending.  Keep believing, keep pretending." Jim Henson

Bocca East
Bocca East
My poor body screaming after a five day work week (thirty six! years of Hygiene are really taking its toll..), I again, most thankfully, slept most of the way to New York City.  Arriving to our Hx3 around 9pm, I dropped of my bag and meandered the neighborhood looking for a bight to eat.  Sojourn was mobbed, as was JG Mellon (haven’t eaten there yet, always mobbed, purportedly have one of the best burgers in NYC.  I’ll keep trying.)  I finally made my way back to Bocca East (2nd & 78th).  I now only will go where there is a seat at the bar as I’m always certain to have at least a small chat with someone.  I enjoyed an awesome Anitpasti Freddi: Tagliata di Tonno (Seared Yellow Fin tuna, braised fennel & Balsamic reduction, followed by with an amazing blueberry cheesecake, enjoyed with a lovely Montepulciano di Abbruzzi wine.)  I had a lovely short chat with a couple, “He” has Dryads Green Gallery (Masterpiece American Paintings), and “She” recently retired to join her Husband in NYC.  They raised two “kids” in Northampton, Massachusetts.  “She” was a clinical psychologist and taught at Worcester State.
First Time Fest
Bar Veloce
Saturday morning I had my tea and was catching up on emails and I checked out the seat filling group I joined, Play by Play.  I noticed First Time Fest happening this weekend.  After researching it a bit, I decided to go to a film on both Saturday and Sunday.  This was exactly the type of thing I came to New York for!  I headed down to the East Village a few hours early to get a bit to eat.  Walking by Momofuku, I thought, “Delicious”, unfortunately, it was closed until dinner.  Kept walking down 2nd and came upon a cool looking place, Bar Veloce, on 2nd and 11th.  An interesting wine caught my eye, Vino Arancione (orange wine), so I had a glass.  Enjoying it with a wonderful bruschetta prosciutto di Parma (fig tartare, rosemary, and pine nuts), and Piatto mozzarella di buffalo, basil, and tomato.  (Their napkins were dental bibs!)
 From the First Time Fest Website:
Summertime
Two actresses are unknowingly cast in the same role; and that is just the starting point for one of the most enchanting and witty romantic New York roundelays in recent memory. Talented debut writer/director Max Weissberg follows furtive attempts at friendship, love, and sex among eight people including Julia, an actress who lands the role of Anya - daughter of a Russian arms dealer - and an unconventional director who thinks she must truly become Anya. This graceful, multilayered film knowingly examines the nature of performance in our "real" lives.

Filmmaker Bio: A directing fellow at the prestigious American Film Institute, Max Weissberg honed his craft at Lenfilm Studios in St. Petersburg, Russia, where he assisted on several productions. Upon his return to the United States, he co-produced the documentary Hotel Gramercy Park, which premiered at the 2008 Tribeca Film Festival.

At the Q&A following the film, Max Weissberg explained this was a love letter of sorts to actors and NYC in the summer.  Great afternoon and evening!
Sunday I did some more reading and writing.  I am now hooked on the letters from my Uncle to my Grandmother.  It’s a true love story, and I’m learning a lot about my family and real faith.  I then headed out to my Sunday film.

From the First Time Fest Website:
For his impressive directorial debut, Philip Seymour Hoffman chose an intimate ensemble piece, Jack Goes Boating, a four-character romantic drama about the tentative, budding relationship between a shy limousine driver and an equally shy woman whose co-worker is in a troubled marriage with Jack's close friend. The film was based on a stage production by the Labyrinth Theater Company with essentially the same cast; Amy Ryan was added for the film. This is an actor's film in the best sense. Hoffman's sure-handed, intimate direction closely follows the emotional undercurrents of the story. And his lived-in, convincing portrayal of Jack happens to be one of his finest screen performances.

Filmmaker bio: Philip Seymour Hoffman is one of the greatest screen actors working today. He won an Academy Award for Capote and has been nominated three times for Supporting Actor, for The Master, Charlie Wilson’s War and Doubt. He is also an accomplished stage actor, with Tony nominations for True West, Death of a Salesman, and Long Day’s Journey Into Night.

Q&A with Philip Seymour Hoffman and Amy Ryan following the screening.
Jack Goes Boating

Great fun!  Both actors were wonderful.  I had time and was in the neighborhood, so I decided I owed it to myself to go to one of my favorites, Union Square Café.  I thoroughly enjoyed their lasagna with nice glass of red and a luscious White Chocolate & Lemon Mousse (Blood Orange, Yuzu Syrup, Grapefruit Sorbet).  My bar-mate followed my lead as well.  Interestingly, “She” was a Psychologist (theme for the weekend?) who lived primarily in Southern California, had an apartment in the City and comes often to see her Daughter and Twins, and thinking of selling her farm in New Hampshire. ?!  But, you know what, she has to stay in California to be near her youngest son who is bi-polar and struggles with substance abuse issues as a result.  Everyone has their “stuff”, or crosses to bear. 
Slept almost like a baby all the way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment