Sunday, February 24, 2013

Writing, Comedy, and Art

                                      "Black is the queen of colors"  Auguste Renoir

The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf
From Phil U on Yelp
Another tough week, physically, and an easy ride down to NYC, I arrived to chat with Kristi and fall into bed.  Saturday we woke to a rainy, dismal but mild day.  It seems most Urban dwellers spend a lot of time at and work in coffee shops.  Kristi has found one near the Hx3,  Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf (3rd and 83rd), which is a company that actually started 50 years ago in Los Angeles.  Their claim is that they created the Original Ice Blended Drink in 1989, thus starting the frozen coffee drink craze.  Well, it’s a nice place with very friendly employees.  I thoroughly enjoyed their chai tea latte, raspberry croissants, and oatmeal cookies (had throughout the day!)  I spent most of the day, surrounded by others, working on my Uncle’s letter to my Grandmother.
Dinner from Eli's
Walking home (just a few blocks), I decided to check out Eli’s (Nora Ephron shopped here, so if it was good enough for her..).  It’s another amazing New York City food mecca.  A bit pricier than my other favorite, Agata and Valencia, I still managed to pick up dinner (sushi), breakfast (apple turnover), and light dinner for Sunday (pumpkin/butternut squash soup, crackers and cheese).  Popping into the wine store next door, W.I.N.E., I rounded out my order with a nice bottle of Sauvignon Blanc.
From their Website
Feeling the real to need to laugh, I treated myself to a comedy show Saturday evening.  Getting to the show was entertainment in itself.  The 6 Train is not running downtown at my stop, so I took it up a stop as instructed..now what?  A woman about my age  explainedwe must now take a bus to 59th and transfer.  So up to the street we went together..no bus..finally we decided to share a cab..Anna lives on my street, and has a Daughter with a restaurant on the LES.  We exchanged information, and perhaps yet another friend made?  When Anna got out in Midtown, I continued on with our lovely Cab driver. We had a great chat, his story: been in the NYC for 19 years, originally from Ghana.  He has 8 children ranging in age for 5-27!  His oldest has his MBA from Johnson & Wales, working for Bank of America in Rhode Island.  Not the first time I have been lucky to hear of the true recent Immigrant experience in the Boston-New York area.
Truth be told, the show at Eastville Comedy Club (E4th Street between the Bowery and 2nd Ave) cost me $4!  I joined a “seat-filling club” for a few months in New York, and it was the first time I finally took advantage of it.  It won’t be the last.  I was thoroughly entertained for a couple of hours by Judy Gold, Harris Stanton, my second favorite Gary Peter, and Janeane Garofalo whom I have had the pleasure of seeing in the past.
Chika @ work
My wonderful treat
Since I was in the East Village I decided I owed it to myself to go to Chikalicious, an amazing dessert restaurant on E10th between 1st and 2nd.  Amazing place.  And, I was treated very nicely indeed.  It was a three course dessert that began with a small glass of Proscecco while I waited.  While waiting for my dessert (I love to sit at the bar and watch Chika in action), I was given a tiny bowl of jasmine sorbet with a banana-lime mix.  Then the main course followed, an awesome warm chocolate tart with pink peppercorn ice cream and red wine sauce with a lovely glass of Churchill Graham Reserve Port.  This was followed by a dish of tiny petite forts.  Wonderful.
A sculpture gallery @ the Met
Impressionism Fashion and Modernity
From the Met's Website
Sunday I awoke to a quiet Hx3, as Kristi was at a retreat for Original Bindings Productions.  I read my paper, did some more writing, and then went to the Met (love saying that, the Metropolitan Museum of Art) for the members’ opening of  “Impressionism, Fashion, and Modernity”.   It was mobbed but excellent.  The beauty of having a membership to such a wonderful institution is that you don’t feel like you’re wasting your money when you go for just one exhibit! (much like having a season ski past, in the old days).
Home again to share a light dinner, and chat, with Kristi.  Now, off  to catch my bus back to Boston, yet again!

 




No comments:

Post a Comment