Sunday, February 3, 2013

Long Winter Weekend

Old friends pass away, new friends appear. It is just like the days. An old day passes, a new day arrives. The important thing is to make it meaningful: a meaningful friend - or a meaningful day.  Dalai Lama

                 Thankfully, I still get renewed, refreshed, and reinvigorated by my almost weekly sojourns to New York City.  I’m not getting my passion for the Big Apple out of my system, instead it grows.  Slept, again, for most of the bus ride down after work Thursday night to get home just before Kristi, so we had a late night chat.
Prune
            Friday we shared a lovely late lunch at Prune in the East Village (1St street between 1st and 2nd Avenues) which unbeknownst to us was just rated Best Brunch in New York by Zagat.com.  It is very funky with great food.  Kris then met friends to work on a script, and I meandered all of Bleeker Street from Nolita (North of Little Italy) to the West Village, popping into shops along the way, buying a really cute hat at a pop-up designer store and awesome breads from the Village shop of Amy’s.  (In Union Square, a homeless man told me he loved my hat!  I, unlike my Girls, am not a hat person, so I figured homeless in NYC have certain style, I had done alright!)

            Saturday I had a lovely hibernating and digging into a project I brought down to the Hx3.  My much beloved Maternal Uncle was quite a letter writer.   I have almost 3o years of letters he wrote to my Grandmother, starting when he entered St. John’s Seminary at the age of 18 in 1945 to my Grandmother’s death in the early 1970s.  I started reading these, what fun, a true pleasure…I  am going to do something with these, unsure what!
Ice Sculpture of Belvedere Castle
           Late in the afternoon, I decided to stretch my legs and get some fresh air.  I walked over o the Park, Central Park, that is.  God, I love saying that!  There was an Ice Festival going on at the Belvedere Castle, so I meandered around that area, enjoying the show, and the people watching.  From the Central Park website: "Right now, the temperature in Central Park is …"

Belvedere Castle
New Yorkers and regular visitors know that phrase well from television and radio broadcasts. But not many know that temperature is recorded from atop Belvedere Castle.

Since 1919, the National Weather Service has take measurements from the castle's tower with the aid of scientific instruments that measure wind speed and direction. In a fenced-in compound just south of the castle, other data such as the rainfall is recorded and sent to the weather service's forecast office at Brookhaven National Library on Long Island.

Before it was equipped with meteorological equipment, Belvedere Castle was a Victorian folly. Calvert Vaux, co-designer of Central Park, created the miniature castle in 1869 as one of its many whimsical structures intended as a lookout to the reservoir to the north (now the Great Lawn) and the Ramble to the south.

After decades of deterioration, the Central Park Conservancy renovated and reopened the castle in 1983.

Belvedere provides the best and highest views of the Park and its cityscape. It's fitting, considering its name translates to "beautiful view" in Italian.

The Member's Dining Room at the Met (fromit's website)
           Sunday, I met the lovely young Lady who I enjoyed getting know when we volunteered at the Global Citizen’s Concert in Central Park in the fall.  Alex is very involved with a Christian Church, C3Manhattan.  I’m feeling a “need” for something, so I checked it out.  On the fence, I’ll attend some more, I did like the ritual of the Catholic Mass, but have simply decided that I don’t wish to part of that anymore…I’m thinking organized religion may not be for me anymore.. Kristi and I met mid-afternoon at the Met where we indulged in a wonderful Brunch in the Member’s Dining Room, an early Birthday celebration for her.

Cipriani Dolci (thanks to Steve R on Yelp)
Monday I had a long leisurely lunch, taking advantage of Restaurant Week, at Cipriani Dolce in Grand Central with another lovely Lady, Muriel, who I met at the Signature theatre a few months ago.  Dare I say it?  I’m making friends I New York City!

No comments:

Post a Comment