Friday, May 10, 2013

Another perfect spring weekend

       "Go confidently in the directions of your dreams.  Live the life you have imagined.
                                                                                              Henry David Thoreau
Yuca Bar
 After another stressful week, it’s time for the news cameras at the Marathon Memorial to go home, I slept most of the way down to New York again.  Thank God.  Friday we woke to yet another beautiful spring day.  Went to my favorite grocery store (I hate food shopping), Agata & Valencia and picked up some odds and ends .  Then Kristi and I went down to the East Village for a lovely lunch at a cucina Latina, Yuca Bar (Ave A & 7th St).  After a wonderful nap, I went up the street to Philosophy class.  Really interesting as there are all different types, shapes, sizes, ages, and since I don’t go to a particular class (even though it is recommended, but I can’t due to my schedule), I really see the differences.
Saturday, another picture perfect spring day, I headed through Central Park to the west side to help out with Bushwick’s Salvation Army Field Day.   Sejal and Katya spend a Saturday each month with a group of youngsters from the Bushwick neighborhood of Brooklyn.  This was their final time together before summer break.  A wonderful Lady, Miss Thorington, brought 20-25 youngsters ranging in age from 7ish to thirteen on the MTA to Central Park West to meet with the rest of us.  What a perfectly delightful way to spend a few hours on a gorgeous Saturday.  The Kiddos were delightful, respectful, polite, and fun! 
Decor...
Luke's in Yorkville

As the weather was so nice, Kris and I met at Luke’s Lobster which dangerously is just a few blocks from the Hx3.  We enjoyed one of the best lobster rolls I’ve had in a long time, and reasonably priced, especially for NYC.  Luke is a brilliant young lad from Maine who opened his first shop the East Village in 2009, now has 2 more and a Food Truck, Nauti, in New York City, and 3 more shops in DC, Georgetown, and Bethesda!  (another example of “build it and they will come” like Eataly, in spite of the Great Recession).
Ayana
Piano Player @ Marie's Crisis
I then touched base with my Friend, and she invited me to meet herself and some Friends down in the Village for a jazz show.  This is something definitely on my to do list, so I happily went.  I met them at Bar 55 on Christopher Street for an awesome 2 hour show headlined by Ayanna.  She plays here the first Saturday of every month.  There’s no cover, just a drink minimum, which they don’t really enforce.  I am sure, back in the day, this was the quintessential smoky jazz joint in a basement.  Thankfully, there’s no more smoke.  Since it was still early, I brought my Friend over to one of my favorite places which I hadn’t been to in quite awhile, Marie’s Crisis.  And, as always, it didn’t disappoint.   We got seats right at the piano!  On the way home, I had a hankering for something sweet so I stopped into Sojourn across the street for a nightcap and dessert.  I shared it with a couple of lovely Ladies who I had a very enjoyable chat with.  Perfect ending to a perfect day.
From The Frick's website
From The Frick's website
Sunday I lazily poked around then walked down to The Frick (God, I love being able to walk everywhere.)  That museum is awesome, and pay what you want on Sundays from 11am to 1pm.  I thoroughly enjoyed the two special exhibits, “Piero della Francesca” and “Impressionist Line from Degas to Toulouse-Lautrec.”
I must digress again in relation to Piero della Francesca. Ten years ago when Katie graduated (OMG, where do the years go?), I met her during her backpacking trip through Europe, in Italy.  Before I left I read a recommended book which happened to be about doing the Piero della Francesco trail through Tuscany and Umbria.  Katie and I were offered the chance to spend a day doing the trail, and it was amazing!
After the Frick, I meandered home through the Park, enjoying a gelato and people watching.  Came home, relaxed, cooked dinner, and once again slept all the way back to Boston on the bus.

 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment