Sunday, May 5, 2013

Unexpected vacation, finally back to work

                                         "Resiliency is not a sprint.  It is a marathon."
                                      Juliette Kayem in The Boston Globe April 18, 2013
On Tico's window on Berkley Street
Well, it’s been almost two weeks since the bombings at the Marathon.  One of the texts the Boyz (my Bosses) sent while Boylston Street was shut down had the City of Boston site that was set up for those affected by this Horror.  Funny, I’m safe, my loved ones are safe, but I guess, I have been affected by this, as I was unable to work. So, I signed up for the email updates from the City.  I must say, I’m impressed.
Memorial on the corner of Berkely and Boylston
Last Monday was a sunny, if chilly day, a week since another day changed us forever.  One of the emails I received from the City, and something I read in the Boston Globe made me realize that perhaps I should investigate what my lost wages may really mean.  Unbelievably, we still couldn’t work, I had the time, so I called the number given in an email.  It turned out to be the unemployment office.  My heart sank, then I was filled with hurt pride, dread, and yes, anger.
(I must digress back thirty four years.  I was a 21 year old newly-wed.  My not so Officer and Gentleman had just started pilot training.  So we had left beautiful Colorado for Texas, directly on the Mexican border.  When we got the orders for Laughlin AFB in Del Rio, Texas, I researched and discovered there were three dentists in town.  I called one and asked if there was a need for a Dental Hygienist in town.  The Dentist, said, yes, please, we could all use you.  I flew to Houston to take the Texas Boards, and the one person I knew in that city agreed to be my Board Patient. (God Bless her.)  I passed the boards, got my license, got to Del Rio, and went to tell the Dentists I had arrived!  A hometown Girl had just graduated from Hygiene School and moved home.  She had all the hygiene jobs.  Another Officer’s Wife told me to file for unemployment.  She had.  It was easy!  So, off I went.  OMG, nightmare.  And, I was denied because I had quit my job in Colorado.  The fact that it I quit due to a transfer for my Husband’s job with the US Air Force didn’t matter.   I promised myself to never go through that again.  When Polaroid went bankrupt over 10 years ago, and my then Husband was able to “collect”, the process seemed to have gotten so much easier and humane.  But, I still was grateful I didn’t have to personally deal with it….)
It took me three hours! with wait time, disconnected call, and more wait time to actually speak with a human and get some answers.  The first basic fact was: I had to see what my Boss was going to do as far as pay was concerned.  So, I thought, no problem, we will have time to discuss it soon, when we get back to work.  I decided to go into the city.  I wanted to be there at 2:50 pm and experience my moment of silence in my work neighborhood.
My parking gene was working and I found a visitor’s spot on Clarendon Street.  I then walked the route to work that I do most work days through the South End, up East Berkley to Boylston Street.  Of course I was stopped from walking down Boylston by the barricade. But, I came upon the Memorial (which was ultimately moved to Copley Square Park.  I look onto the park from my office every work day.) and met the man in charge of it, Kevin.  It was beautiful, quiet, and respectful, with many people, including newscasters, milling about.  Some of the Comfort Puppies were there with their Masters, beautiful.
I then decided to walk the back streets to Copley Square.  Parked outside the Copley Plaza Hotel was a “portable City Hall” (looks like a food truck) with People milling about ready and eager to help.  So, I took advantage of the fact that it was not crowded, asked some questions, and was given a packet of information.  Again impressed.
At The Oak Bar

Catie Copley
I went into the Hotel and was greeted by Catie Copley (the resident black Lab who has a throne in the lobby, and is often taken for walks by guests).  Alas, the poor old Girl’s back was bothersome so only her trainer was walking her, as I offered to.  So, I went into the Oak Bar, a Boston beauty, and it was pretty quiet.  I decided to help the economy and have a very expensive burger.  What is better comfort food than that?  There I shared in the moment of silence with the young People working at the Oak Bar.  I chatted with a few of them.  Two lovely young Ladies epitomized the essence of Boston; they both came from the Midwest for our schools.  Brianna came for MIT, and has started a Non-Profit.  Maren is a singer-actor who came for grad school @ Berkley.  (Now, you know I love her!)
Kevin, Keeper of the Memorial
Memorial (from my office)
Finally, Wednesday, ten days after the Marathon Madness, we were able to go back to work.  The Memorial is directly across the street from our office in the Park.  Kevin is still there, every day unless it’s raining, coming up from Brockton to keep order and beauty to the ever growing memorial.  It took me a few days before I could actually go over and walk around.  The letters, and posters from Children all over the country, world actually, get to me the most….
"Sophacles taught us 'that every choice has its consequences, that character is destiny, that the exercise of power must always be measured by the health of the whole community.  He also taught us that tragedy, when faced directly and bravely, leaves humans not diminished, but enobled'".  James Carroll's column. "Moral order gained, then lost" in the Boston Globe April 22, 2013.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment