Friday, July 12, 2013

4th of July

                              "Where liberty dwells, there is my country."  Benjamin Franklin
RafaellaJuly 4th, Independence Day..such a special one in this country.  I loved all those Holidays spent at my beloved Birch Point on Webber Pond..Time for new traditions.  I allowed myself to just “be” for much of the day at my Hx3.  Mid-afternoon I treated myself to the 16 Handles (frozen yogurt) in the neighborhood.  My NYC Friend and I met at Rafaella’s, 9th and 21st, @ 5:30 for an early dinner before going to see the fireworks.  We enjoyed an amazing 3 course dinner with a glass of wine for $17!  I now love early bird specials, and will happily admit it!
We then made our way to the Hudson River to claim a tiny spot for the Fireworks spectacular.  Huge crowds, quiet, respectful, all sweltering together.  As always, the diversity of the people watching is incredible in NYC.  We chatted with a young Woman from Amsterdam, a DNA Scientist who had just spent 3 months at MIT, living in the Back Bay.  We clearly had lots to talk about.  Another couple from the South  postponed their flight home to watch the fireworks.  An interesting mis-matched group of four were next to us all night.  God love the oldest member of the group, his teeth, lack there of and shape of what was left?!  But when he heard I was from Boston, so compassionate…As the Finale shot through the air, my Friend quietly congratulated me on my new Independence…
Window @ FIT
Friday I had breakfast at my new favorite café before Memoir class.  As I sat in the Library writing after class I looked up at one point to see my NYC Friend in front of me!  She lives in Chelsea.  We spent a lovely couple of hours at her favorite little coffee shop, La Maison du Macaron, 23rd between 6th and 7th.  We then went to meet Megabus in front of FIT.  My Cousin’s Daughter had invited herself to spend the weekend with us.  We were truly delighted that she felt that comfortable as most of our relationship had been formed through our huge, loud family events and Holidays.  Communication mix-up on times.  What to do with a couple of hours in the sweltering heat?  Treat ourselves to mani-pedis at my NYC Friend’s favorite salon in Chelsea.  As always one of the relatively cheap things to do in NYC!
Jennifer @ Brandy's
Jake Guccieri (piano) and Casey
Relaxed, I went back to meet the correct bus.  I treated Emily and myself to a cab home, wasn’t in the mood for the crowds of the MTA at rush hour.  Kris arrived home shortly after us from a client’s.  We thoroughly enjoyed the bounty of cheese and crackers I had picked up at Agata and Valencia earlier.  Then, the Cousins went out to play in the Big Apple.  I happily walked the few blocks to Brandy’s Piano Bar where I was voted favorite new customer!
Respite from the heat
Dinner @ L'Ecole
 Saturday we had a lazy start.  Then the Ladies went off to the MOMA.  I relaxed a bit longer then met them at the Museum.  Kris went off to a rare night behind the bar at Valhalla.  Emily and I went south to Soho to do some shopping.  We had a wonderful dinner at L’Ecole, the French Culinary Institute’s restaurant on Broadway in the heart of Soho.  The heat being truly stifling, I happily went home to crash.  Emily ventured out to meet college friends, and then Kris at Valhalla.
Cousins
On the East River
Sunday we did what all good New Yorkers do, Brunch around the corner at Cascabel Taqueria.  We then meandered around the ‘hood a bit walking along the East River.  A wonderful long, lazy summer weekend in the City.  A great new tradition indeed.







No comments:

Post a Comment