Friday, July 26, 2013

Start of my Sabbatical!


      “Don’t be pushed by problems.  Be led by dreams.”  Ralph Waldo Emerson
Down near World Trade Center
A couple of weeks ago I arrived earlier than planned to the Hx3.  I left my job.  It was a painful ending.  I know this too shall heal. The gift from that experience is time.  Time to get my beloved Home ready to sell, sell almost everything I own, and move to New York City!  I will take over the Hx3 for myself in October!
City Hall Park
I was starving when I got to NYC, so I went across the street for comfort food and company, to Sojourn, where Everyone truly knows my name.  Friday morning I went down to Chelsea for my Memoir writing class.  I then treated myself to a cappuccino and croissant at La Maison du Macaron,132 W 23rd.
From there I ventured to and meandered through the East Village, enjoying the soft, sweet summer rain.  Stopping at Trader Joe’s in Union Square, I picked up some provisions for a lovely dinner.  Kris and I enjoyed it together, and had a quiet evening in, visiting and watching “How I Met your Mother” on Netflix.  I never watched the show when it was on regularly.  Quite funny and light.  Perfect.
World Trade Center @ Dusk
World Trade Center @ Night
Saturday I just poked around, reading, relaxing, and enjoying.  Late in the afternoon I headed Downtown to volunteer with Roof Top Films.  From its website: "Rooftop Films is a New York based non-profit whose mission is to engage diverse communities by showing independent movies in outdoor locations, producing new films, coordinating youth media education, and renting equipment at low cost to artists."
demiran-orange
From Brassland's website
Setting for the Film Festival
This evening’s performance was held at Brookfield Place which is a lovely industrial complex right on the Hudson River, across from the World Trade Center.  The evening began with 3 Brass Bands playing their music, with lots of dancing, leading into the film, Brasslands.   From its website: "They say that when the festival begins, time stands still, as once a year half a million brass fanatics descend upon the sleepy valley town of Guča, Serbia for the world’s largest trumpet festival. Brasslands follows a group of musicians from New York who’ve been playing together for over thirty years, as they make the pilgrimage to Guča to compete in the spiritual home of Balkan music." As always, an enjoyable evening working with varied, nice, and interesting People.  And, I was absolutley thrilled by the fireflies flying around during the movie, in the middle of New York City!
Wonderful Tea Room
on Park Ave and 60th
Man hanging @ The Cell, a theatre on 23rd
Sunday was Bastille Day, and there was a big celebration not far from the Hx3 on 60th Street between Lexington and Madison.  I meandered through the crowds (thick and hot), to experience the festivities (and managed to find a perfect black bag!).  I then joined a Friend at the Union Square Theatre to see Murder Ballad. (another score from Play be Play tickets!).  It was a great, rollicking, raucous musical.  The talent of the four characters was really tremendous.  We then walked around the corner and treated ourselves to a truly delightful High Tea at Lady Mendyl’s Salon, at The Inn at Irving, 56 Irving Place.
Terroir At The Porch
From Dylan L on Yelp
I love the long summer days.  I then walked over to the Highline and met another NYC Friend to enjoy a sunset glass of wine at Terroir at the Porch on the Highline, W15th & 10th Ave.  She was already happily ensconced with a lively group of Young Ladies who invited us to their party.  One of the Ladies is an aspiring Actor, who graduated from McGill with a Psych degree the same year as Katie!  We clearly had a lot in common!  We bid our adieu’s and quietly walked the Highline, sitting, chatting, and enjoying the summer twilight at one of NYC’s true Oasis.
Since I had the gift of time, I came home on Monday morning, enjoying a good night’s sleep. And, began to “dig in”, literally, to begin the purging, packing, cleaning, for all that the next phase and adventure of my life entails.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment