Thursday, August 1, 2013

               “Life is what happens to us while making other plans.”  Allen Saunders.

After taking a short hiatus from NYC, staying home to really tackle the purging of a life-time, literally, at my Milton home, it was nice to come back to Manhattan.  It’s fascinating to me that I find a similar peace here that I used to find in Maine.  I am so very grateful for that.

Arriving late Thursday afternoon, I decided to treat myself to a light dinner at my favorite, Sojourn.  As always, I found myself having a wonderfully interesting conversation with a fellow bar-sitter, and of course, Alex, the bartender.  It appears they run wine dinners together, so of course, I asked if I may join sometime!  Bob has a wine blog that looks interesting: www.brunellobob.blogspot.com.
Morning coffee site before class
Friday I had my morning coffee at the small cart I discovered in the Flatiron district before heading to my last Memoir writing class, for now.  Ben is going to resume it later in the summer!  I then met my Friend and we enjoyed a nice cup of coffee at La Maison du Macaron.  I have a nice routine started.  I love it!
Stopping to get some salad and other provisions on the way home, I then went to my neighborhood library branch to do some writing.  I also got my first NYC library card!  Kris and I then shared one of my personal favorite dinners of wine, cheese, bread, and fruit.
Icocnic NYC scene as I did Yoga
Later, we meandered over to Brandy’s Piano Bar.  It’s so delightful to be able to walk to all of these places.  Kristi stayed for a short while and then a Friend from Philosophy Class met me.  Wonderful evening.
Another scene as I did Yoga
Saturday I read, wrote, and then walked to the Park, Central Park, and did some yoga, and more reading.  Perfect.  I then calmly walked around my ‘hood for awhile, soaking up the fact that this truly will be “home” in a few short months.  With that happy realization, I treated myself to some gelato from Eli’s.  (Nora Ephron often mentioned doing her food shopping at Eli’s, although I don’t think she did gelato..)
 Then I headed to Park Slope, Brooklyn to volunteer for Rooftop Films again.  This is their home base, at the Old American Can Factory.  What a cool space!  There was a concert first in their courtyard.  From Rooftop's website: "Bradford Reed never fails to entertain and inspire. This Brooklyn, NY based composer, performer and producer fights and tames the idiosyncrasies of the pencilina, an original instrument of his own design and construction. The pencilina is an electric ten stringed collision of the hammer dulcimer, slide guitar, koto and fretless bass with six pickups of varied types. It is struck with sticks, plucked and bowed, giving Reed an incredibly wide sonic palette. Many have enjoyed Reed's frequent street performances and club dates." )  Bradford was powered by stationary bikes ridden by volunteers and guests!)   The Short Films: "Industriance" were shown in the courtyard and on the Rooftop.  Following the film there was an after party with music.  Sponsors of this year’s festival, Red Stripe Beer and Bulleit whiskey and bourbon.  Another incredibly, pleasant, interesting, and cheap summer evening!
Courtyard scene at night..beautiful
Sunday I had plans for a play on the Great Hill in Central Park, “Brecht”.  Then I was going to attend a concert, “Kronos Quartet”, at the Damrosch Park Bandstand, part of Lincoln Center which was playing as part of Lincoln Center’s Outdoor Festival.  (Both free!)  The weather was not conducive to sitting outside, although it was another sweet summer rain, it was not something I wanted to sit in for hours.  Well, one of the very important lessons I have learned, or been brutally taught, by the last eighteen months, is that “Life is what happens to us while making other plans.”  (Allen Saunders.  Then John Lennon used it in his song “Beautiful Boy”.)  For a planning control freak, that has been tough. But as my beloved former Co-worker recently said that she had finally decided during her recent vacation: “Let Go and Let Flow.” (We were Co-workers when she left for vacation.  When she came back I was gone.)   I like that, and plan to adopt that credo with her.
PUNK: Chaos to Couture
From The Metropolitan Museum of Art website
So, for Sunday, I went to plan B.  My NYC Friend invited me to join She and her Friend at the Met (Metropolitan Museum of Art).  Since I belong, and it is one of the joys of the Hx3 that we live 5 blocks away, I happily accepted.  We spent a few hours enjoying, meandering that magnificent museum.  We ambled through the “Punk Exhibit”.  As are most of the fashion exhibits I see in museums, far out, but interesting.  We chatted over a beverage in the American Wing Café. My NYC’s Friend and I walked home through the UES as She’s a neighbor.  We shared stories, good and not so, about our lives, the difficulties, challenges, and wonderful benefits, of being Moms to Adult Children.  It is so nice to be reaffirmed that you’re “not alone and not crazy.”  Wonderful, I may have another NYC Friend!
By Sunday evening, I was content to hibernate, enjoy the sound of the summer rain outside, read my Sunday Paper online, and just be.  Monday morning I contentedly caught my Bolt Bus back to my new reality..cleaning, purging, packing.  The “For Sale” sign goes on the lawn tomorrow.  Please keep me in your positive thoughts..that my beloved little home sells quickly and easily, and that I have enough Kleenex to get me through it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment