Thursday, August 22, 2013

Weekend of Volunteering

  “To serve is beautiful, but only if it is done with joy and a whole heart and a free mind.”
                                                                                                          Pearl S Buck

Film at the Farm
Ain't Them Bodies Saints (2013) PosterIn a measure of frugality, and because it has truly been enjoyable, my weekend was planned with much volunteering.  Taking an early morning bus from Boston, got me to our Hx3 midday, giving me time to relax a bit before heading to a farm museum (who knew?!)  in Queens.  Rooftop Films presented David Lowery's “Ain’t Them Bodies Saints” at the Queens County Farm Museum.  (http://www.examiner.com/review/film-review-ain-t-them-bodies-saintsWhen I got to Penn Station to get on the Long Island Railroad, I bumped into a familiar face, a great young Lady I had worked with at other Rooftop events.  I love when that happens in my new city!  It was a wonderful evening..even if it did make me homesick for Maine..
Early morning in Soho

INO-1512
Inoteca
Yonah Schimmel's Knish Bakery
Jonah Schimmel's
Friday Kris and I found ourselves on the Lower East Side.  What to do on a perfect summer afternoon?  Have a long, leisurely, wonderful lunch at a favorite, Inoteca on Rivington.  Perfect.  From there I decided to head home, and decided to read, watch a bit of tv, and get to bed early as I had a long day of volunteering on my calendar for Saturday.  Walking along Houston, I passed Jonah Schimmel’s bakery, famous for its knish’s and decided we  owed it to ourselves.  I picked up a few for breakfasts.


Almond croissant at Ceci Cela
Controlling traffic..
Last Night at Rooftop Films for 2013
Saturday I was up and out by 5:45 a.m to help out at the final day of Summer Streets.  I was given the job of traffic control down on a Soho corner.  Working with yet another lovely young Lady, who just moved to NYC form Florida, it was a fun morning.  After the first hour or so of standing on the street corner, the next 5 were easy!  As always, the cast of characters who came through our intersection was incredibly diverse, interesting, friendly, and courteous!  I lost count as to how many people thanked me for being there!  Halfway through the morning, I treated myself to a coffee and decadent almond croissant at Ceci Cela on Spring Street.  Amazing.

From there I headed back to my neighborhood in the UES, and went to the Green Market o 82nd to get some lunch provisions.  Went home, relaxed, and headed out to Park Slope in Brooklyn to The Old American Can Factory for Rooftop Film’s final screening there for the season.  The night followed previous years’ traditions of showing a series of short films for the final show.  There was an extra feeling of “party” in the air, I’m sure due to it being the final show.  I didn’t get home til 4am!

Sunday, I relaxed, and brunched on the knishes I had picked up on Friday.  Then, I headed back to Boston early; which proved to be a good decision, as the week is turning out to be quite busy.  More on that later.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment