Monday, August 26, 2013

Life, and Death

“You were born a child of light’s wonderful secret— you return to the beauty you have always been.”   Aberjhani,

Having planned to stay home from NYC for a weekend, I decide to give myself a treat and go to Cape Cod (the Cape) as Friends had invited me.  I am in good shape as far as purging, packing, cleaning, and it took my mind of the slow sale of my beloved home (although I do realize that less than a month on the market does not constitute a slow sale..just thought it would happen overnight..so much for the patience I’ve grown in the last year or so..).
The Patio at the Ocean House

Red River Beach in Harwich
It used to be that every time I went over the bridge I felt 18 again (have I mentioned this before?!), however nothing can do that anymore.  That’s okay, just like crossing other bridges have done for many years in the past, the Sagamore also makes me breathe differently, calmer. A great Friend and I stopped in Yarmouth to visit with another dear Friend (awesome antique Cape home, actually has a plaque stating it’s on the list of Historic Homes).  From there we went to Dennisport, and had a lovely lunch on a perfect summer day beachside at the Ocean House, on Depot Road.  It sent me down Memory Lane as I worked on that same street the summer of ’76, waitressing and playing!  I had a lovely few days enjoying the beach, and other Friends at dinner another evening.  I am blessed.
Gazebo overlooking the Kettle Pond
Thank God, as the weekend played out to be a hectic, bittersweet one, filled with, new life, and unfortunately death with tears and laughter rolled in.  My Niece and her Husband blessed our Family with a 4th Generation, my Mom’s first Great-grandchild!  My Brother, his Wife, younger Daughter, and Son were able to “be part” of the whole experience as they came as was planned to meet Miss Kennedy Eden, who was supposed to come two weeks ago. (Megan and Fletcher had no idea that Kennedy is actually a family name, my Paternal GrandMom’s maiden name.  No, we are not part of “that Kennedy” family.)

Steel & Rye
From Yelp
After picking Kris up at South Station, with her bus arriving much later than anticipated (one of the only draw backs, I think, to commuting by bus from Boston to NYC, is you are at the mercy of the traffic), we decided to check out a relatively new restaurant in Milton.  It's been hard to get into since it oprened almost a year ago.  I like to support hometown establishments, especially since, for most of my life, there was no fine dining in Milton.  Steel and Rye did not disappoint.  It was hard to beleive we were in Milton.  Food was good, not overwhlemingly great, the space is cool, the prices are Boston/NYC prices, not suburban.  Kris' only complaint was that the wine list definitely catered to "Milton Moms", but was impressed with the cocktail options!
A dear extended Family member passed away last week which added to the miles travelled, literally.  But, being at the age where I only get to see certain People at Weddings and Funerals, I guess that’s the bittersweet part.  My Girls and I escaped the tough Funeral Mass by setting up the Reception at my Cousin’s home.  May be the cowards way out, but having done it now for my good Friend a couple of times, I realize it beings some peace at a time when it’s needed most.  (Perhaps I’ve found my new calling for a career?!)
My Ladies and I gave ourselves some needed therapy after the reception, of the retail type (thus also helping the economy).  Kris who hates to shop was guided by her Personal Style Guru, Katie, and managed to get some great things to add to her suitcase for a Wedding in Madrid this weekend, followed by a reunion with her English flat-mates (from Junior Year Abroad) in Majorca where they are renting a villa.  Again, we are blessed.
Photo: The Sullivan kids minus 3.
Six of Nonnie's Nine Grandchildren!
Saturday evening we converged on my other Brother’s house.  (Unfortunately, due the Death in the Family, a large cookout planned for extended Family (forty! People) was cancelled.) The only sibling missing at my Brother’s for dinner, was my Sister and her Family who live in California.  We had many laughs and shared a wonderful evening together, my Mom, three of her kids, and six of her grandchildren.  Perfect.

Mom and the Kentucky Sullivans, Megan and Fletcher, with Miss Kennedy Eden Lang!
Sunday before every one headed back to reality, my Ladies and I visited the new Princess.  Mom, and the Kentucky Sullivans overlapped us a bit, allowing for more kisses and hugs farewell.  The new Parents were relaxed and welcoming, if not tired.  Miss Kennedy Eden took it all in by sleeping peacefully.  And Maggie, puppy, thankfully took it all pretty much in stride.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment