Sunday, August 11, 2013

Ruminations of a Fine Lady

     "The appearance of things change according to the emotions, and thus we see magic and beauty in them, while the magic and beauty are really in ourselves."  Kahil Gibran

An old Friend once told me about the acronym FINE that many in his circles used.  F…up, insecure, neurotic, and emotional.  That sums me up for the past eighteen months.  (Some may say much more than that.)  What is so very empowering is that I feel that I’m coming out of it.  As I’ve mentioned often since I started this catharsis, my blog, is that old the old “sayings”, many of which make you want to slap the speaker of them, are true.  Time does heal.  What doesn’t kill us does make us stronger.
People are amazed at my strength, my optimism!, (I work hard to be an optimist, not always successful.), my ability to go forward with a positive attitude.  I am amazed as I believe I have no other choice.  It is just not in me to stay in bed with my feet in the air..although some, many, days that was tempting. 
Home for sale!
Now I have made “plans” (remember what I have said about those..) and am moving forward with my life,  I have also been pushed, but that’s okay.  I am a worry-wart, but somehow, right now I describe myself as “comfortably numb” even if I am concerned that my sweet home has not sold overnight.  A Milton Mom told me many years ago when we were all in the college planning/application nightmare, and everyone was comparing their Kiddos’ test scores and resumes, that People lie .I guess that’s true in many regards. 
It’s an urban myth that homes sell in an hour..at least in my case..
So, on that note, I treated myself to my present Shangri-La, NYC.  I arrived late Thursday afternoon, rested, and headed down to Soho to The Access Theatre on Broadway (not “the” Broadway, but Broadway nonetheless), for Original Binding Production’s “Naked Theatre 2: The Ladies”.  It was a wonderful evening of one-act plays written by women.  Wonderful, as all their shows are.  I then treated myself to a late light dinner as I was hungry, at, you guessed it, Sojourn!
New Friends from Rooftop Films
Friday was yet another sporadically rainy day so I spent the early part at the Hx3 with Kris, reading, being.  I headed back to a new neighborhood in Brooklyn, Sunset Park, to volunteer with Rooftop Films again.  This evening’s film, "Awful Nice," another rollicking comedy of two brothers was based in Branson Missouri, so we had fun decorating the warehouse space in Industrial City accordingly.  From Rooftops’s website: Another fun, interesting evening, with great young People!

Banana Boat Rest Stop
Getting home around 2am, I allowed myself to sleep in a bit on Saturday. But I didn’t want to miss out on Summer Streets, so I headed out around mid-morning to check it out again.  It was a perfect summer morning, and I was not alone.  I began at the Mid-town rest stop at 53rd Street and had my second banana of the day, this time frozen chocolate covered.  Thanks, Banana Boat.
Sculpture on Park Avenue
Eagle on Grand Central
I then meandered with the bikers, walkers, roller bladders, and runners down Park Avenue enjoying the assorted sculptures, and iconic landmarks, some seen in a close-up and personal way, usually only seen from a car.  One such area was the Park Avenue Tunnel, open to Pedestrians for the first time ever.  From the Summer Streets website:  Voice Tunnel is an interactive light and sound installation by Mexican-Canadian artist Rafael Lozano-Hemmer, will transform the 1,400 foot long Park Avenue Tunnel with 300 theatrical spotlights that produce glimmering arches of light along the tunnel’s walls and ceiling. Participants will be able to influence the intensity of each light by speaking into a special intercom at the tunnel’s center which records their voice and loops it. Louder speech will increase the lights’ brightness proportionally, creating a Morse-like code of flashes throughout the tunnel. The individual voices will be heard as pedestrians walk through the tunnel, on 150 loudspeakers, one beside each light arch and synchronized with it.









Voice Tunnel
At any given time, the tunnel will be illuminated by the voices of the past 90 participants: as new participants speak into the intercom, older recordings will get pushed away by one position down the array of light fixtures until they leave the tunnel, so that the content of the piece is changing constantly.  (My note: I waited patiently and added my 2cents to the show.  It was kind of a thrill to hear it playing for a few seconds as I walked away!)
Again, not being alone, it took a 40 minute wait in line to go through, but it was totally worth it.  As always, while waiting in line I had an interesting chat with a New Yorker who gave me tips of living in the city, including how to migrate the rent-control world!  (I will be researching that at some point.
82nd Street St Stephen's Greenmarket, New York, NY
From Llia on Facebook
  After my wonderful long walk, I headed back to my neighborhood (Oh, how I love saying that.)  I returned my first library book, and went over to a local farmers market finding some wonderful summer bounty!  Came home, made my favorite caprese salad, and relaxed a bit before going back to Brooklyn to spend the evening with Rooftop Films, yet again.

Saturday’s show was back at their home, The Old American Can Factory.  I am beginning to love that space.  The movie was Elena, an intense emotional love story from one siter to another.  As always, a great night, I’m now sharing phone numbers with some of my new friends, and I always feel as I’ve had a bit of a workout as well!
Sunday, today, I had some great intentions.  Instead, I have given myself the gift of a very lazy day.  Reading, writing, and recuperating from the physical, and emotional, labor of the last month.  Much needed and wonderful.








No comments:

Post a Comment