Monday, September 2, 2013

Labor Day Weekend

        "Where your pleasure is, there is your treasure; where your treasure, there your heart;   where your heart, there your happiness."  St Augustine

Hx3!



Home Sweet Home for Sale
Perhaps I “shouldn’t be”, but I decided to give myself my planned vacation in NYC.  Kristi went to Spain for ten days; to a dear Friend’s Wedding in Madrid, and then some time at a villa in Majorca with her English college roommates!  I am at a good place as far as purging, packing, etc for the move.  Sitting at home biting my finger nails and worrying isn’t going to sell my beloved home.  So, to the Hx3 I came!  (It also made no sense for it to sit empty and lonely.)

Sojourn form the Hx3
After arriving and unpacking Thursday evening, I decide the best way to start my vacation is to have a pedi at my neighborhood nail salon (gone up in price, will be finding another).   Then, being hungry, of course I went where they know my name, Sojourn.  As always it didn’t disappoint, from my friend Julio behind the bar, to my light dinner of scallops, to chatting with another regular the musician Carl.  And, as always I made a new friend, a Woman my age who is a Nurse Practitioner, just moved back to NYC as she always loved it and her Daughter just graduated from college (whom she raised as a single Mom!)  Sound a bit familiar?!
Jennifer @ Brandy's
Friday I lazily hung around the Hx3 waiting for the Super to come fix the light in the bathroom (been broken for about a month).  He was a no show, and when I called at 7:00pm, he promised to come first thing in the morning.  (learning all the ins and outs of NYC living..)  By now, stir crazy, I went to my beloved Agata and Valencia to buy some dinner and other provisions.  At around 9pm; I am becoming a New Yorker; I went over to my neighborhood fav Piano Bar, Brandy’s.  My singer-waitress Jennifer was working and her crew of piano player and bartenders.  Awesome. 
I did, however, have my first uncomfortable experience going out alone.  A young guy, Drunk Dude (dd), who could be my son agewise, became fascinated with me?!  Annoyingly so.  When dd went to the restroom another kind young Man (KYM) who had been near us asked if I was okay.  KYM  became my quickly adopted son, and was by my side when dd came back.  KYM explaned to dd that I was his Mom; so please back off.  Dd wasn’t so drunk not to notice that KYM was of another ethnicity, but didn’t fight it much.  At this point a couple of other young Men were in on the scheme, and it was kind of funny.  (Many men have been lamenting that the bets Piano Bars, once the bastion of Gay Men, are now being taken over by Everybody..That’s ‘cause they have the most fun!)    Finally dd went on his merry way.  I did check carefully when I left to go home.
Saturday, after the Super did indeed fix our bathroom light, I headed over to the Green Market in the neighborhood (82nd between 1st and York) to buy some more food for the week.  I must start cooking more.  Although I do find Farmer’s Markets quite a bit more expensive than grocery stores; but, oh so fresh, and local, etc.  Although in NYC I think it is sometimes cheaper to just buy out..We’ll see.  On the walk over I bumped into the NP from Sojourn!  I love when I start knowing people on the streets of my ‘hood.
Lady Liberty from the Ferry
I then made my way down to the South Street Ferry terminals to catch the (free!) ferry to Governor’s Island.  From its website:  Governors Island A 172-acre island—and former military base—nestled between Manhattan and Brooklyn.  Located in the shadow of the modern New York City skyline, Governors Island is the oldest European settlement in New York. A former U.S. Army military base and U.S. Coast Guard station, 92 acres of the island are open to the public during the summer. A short ferry ride from Lower Manhattan or Brooklyn will get you there to picnic, bike and enjoy gorgeous views as well as a wide array of cultural activities.
Governors Island is managed jointly by the National Park Service (NPS) and the Trust for Governors Island. NPS administers the 22 acre national monument within a larger National Historic Landmark District, which showcases two forts from the early 19th century and the remainder of the island is administered by the Trust.

Nolan Park Houses
Nolan Park Homes from website
The two forts, Fort Jay and Castle Williams, were a key part of the inner harbor defense network that was constructed in the early 19th century to protect New York City from naval attack. Colonel Jonathan Williams, the chief engineer of the Army Corps of Engineers, designed the castle that would bear his name, and also oversaw the construction of Castle Clinton in Battery Park, Fort Wood (now the star-shaped base of the Statue of Liberty) and the former Fort Gibson on Ellis Island.

Castle Williams is a circular red sandstone fort, built between 1807 and 1811. The fort imprisoned Confederate soldiers during the Civil War and then continued as a low security military prison until 1965. Fort Jay is a star-shaped fort, with a rare dry moat. The open courtyard in the interior is surrounded by former Army and Coast Guard barracks dating from the 1830s.
Today, a trip to Governors Island transports visitors to a historic military village and a tranquil scenic playground just a few minutes from Manhattan. Wander through the forts and military homes, ride your bike along the paved path that encircles the island or settle in for a picnic on the parade ground; no matter what the trip entails visitors will be treated to some of the best views in the city.”

I had been to Governors Island once before for an art exhibit with my Ladies.  I lamented then that all the housing (having lived I military base housing in an earlier life) seemed wasted as some of it was beautiful.  Well, apparently, “we” are at least trying to make more use of it by having more activities, functions, exhibits, etc. there.  I did ask a park ranger if anyone actually lives on the island now.  Unfortunately no..almost no electricity and no potable water, although there is a high school on the island.  This day I specifically went for: Fete Paradiso, A celebration of vintage carnival rides and carousels.


 I found much more!  I enjoyed a nice lunch from the Fete Paradiso’ café, Le Gamin, a lamb merquez (sausage) with home made fries, washed down with a lovely glass of wine.  From there I wandered through some of the beautiful homes which were shops, galleries which had some interesting exhibits including: “Rising Waters” Photographs of Hurricane Sandy (August 24- September 29); “Rising Tide” presented by the Sculptors Guild; “WWII & NYC: Photography and Propaganda”, Presented by the New York Historical Society (July 6 – September 2), and FIGMENT 2013 Summer-Long Installations, All Season, All Day, Parade Grounds.  This summer, FIGMENT’s acclaimed interactive Sculpture Garden, artist-designed Minigolf Course and City of Dreams Pavilion welcome visitors to the Parade Grounds to play with, dance around, contemplate on, and experience these wonderfully imaginative installations. One centerpiece of FIGMENT's summer-long installations for 2013 is the Treehouse, expanded and returning to Governors Island for a third year.  (Another Man felt as I did, and he asked me what all these beautiful homes were now being used for..)  Clearly a full, wonderful, interesting day!
From the Roof of the MET
Ferry back to Manhattan

By the time I got the ferry back to lower Manhattan, I was beat and dusty, so headed home.  As my bus stopped on 5th Avenue, I was rested enough that I decided to get off and go over to the MET.  (Like season ski passes used to be, going for even just a few runs didn’t seem wasteful; having a museum membership allows oneself to just go in for a quick visit.)  It was near dusk, the sky was interesting, so I went to the Roof Deck Bar for a glass of sangria, and managed to have a nice little chat with two more Ladies from my ‘hood.  I hope I run into them as well!  As I made my way out of the museum, never easy, almost like Ikea, but infinitely more beautiful, I found myself in the European Wing, so I happily crawled around looking at some of my favorites, and loving it all the more as there were very few people left in the Museum.
A Degas
(Katie, these are for you.  The original of your 
Monet's @ Argenteuil
  Degas. And, the Mom alone in the garden of one of your other favorites!  xo)








On the building across from the Cathedral
In the Children's Garden at the Cathedral
Then, I literally crawled home.  Sunday I was up and out to volunteer at the Lunch Kitchen at the Cathedral of St John the Divine. (on Amsterdam at 100th Street).  It is magnificent, a Gothic Episcopal Cathedral, considered the 4th largest in the world.  As always, working in a soup kitchen for a few hours, with nice People, serving life-beaten People, it was a lovely day. 
Pinao player, entertainer @ Marie's
I rejuvenated yet again, and met my NYC Friend down at Marie’s Crisis in the Village.  It is truly one of my favorite places in this city.  I always sit with a smile plastered on my face, such great voices, singing show tunes together around a piano bar, awesome! (Again, the Men are a bit bummed that their fun secret is out.)  I haven’t been as lucky yet with star sightings, but once Kris was there with a Friend on Tony night and Ellen Barkin came in following the Award Show and plonked her Tony down right in front of Kris!  A few weeks ago, Kris’ same Friend posted a picture of Cuba Gooding, Jr by the piano!  Last night, I did run into a friend/colleague/client of Kristi’s who I met at a networking in Event in Boston (and you know I love that!)
Monday, I chilled, scrubbed the bathroom of the Hx3 (too much info?).  I am meeting a Friend from Philosophy class for dinner at a neighborhood place my landlady recommended that I enjoy, Sunny’s. (2 courses with wine, $17 each!)  Delightful. 

The largest free-flying American flag in the world was unfurled over New York's George Washington Bridge on Monday. Get a better look here: http://nbcnews.to/17A8395 (Photo: Mel Evans / AP)
On the George Washington Bridge (from NBC news)
Happy Labor Day, Everyone! 
 

 

































No comments:

Post a Comment