Thursday, September 26, 2013

Final Weekend Warrior Trip!



"Remember happiness doesn't depend upon who you are or what you have; it depends solely on what you think." - Dale Carnegie

The bar
Sojourn
After a week of extreme highs and lows, I happily headed down to the Hx3.  Arriving in the early evening, I headed, yes, you guessed it, across the street to Sojourn for a light bite.  Now that I’m a regular, I enjoyed chatting with some of my new Friends.  Caught up with Kristi when I arrived home (She had texted asking where I was.  Love when the tables are turned!)

On the train to Grand Central, I finally was able to copy this poem called "Grand Central" by Billy Colliins that I have seen many times on the trains:

                     The city orbits around eight million
                              centers of the universe

                     And turns around the golden clock
                             at the still point of this place

                     Lift up your eyes from the moving hive
                                and you will see time circling

                                                under a vault of stars and know
                                                           Just when and where you are.


Thursday I headed to Vanderbilt Hall at Grand Central (site of the Christmas Holiday Market, and Tuff Kookooshka is coming back!).  Columbia had schedules a number of informational talks throughout the day  Upon arriving the Hall was pretty quiet, a group of teens were sitting enjoying a chat for themselves on the chairs set up for the discussions.  I found the Columbians in charge, and they had decided to “bag” the talks..I did stay and chatted about some ideas, dreams, for a bit..Will be researching later.
The Next Level
From there I went up an escalator I had never seen before and found New York Transit Museum Gallery Annex & Store at Grand Central.  I poked in and thoroughly enjoyed The Next Level: Photographs by Hiroyuki Suzuki which is up until October 27.  “The future of New Yorkers' travel patterns is now under construction at Grand Central Terminal, eighteen stories beneath the ground. This behind-the-scenes look at the East Side Access project features captivating photos by Hiroyuki Suzuki.”  Fascinating.  And, I managed to purchase a few treasures.

It was a gorgeous early Autumn day, so I leisurely strolled along 42nd Street to one of my favorite places, Bryant Park, directly behind the main branch of the New York Public Library on 5th Avenue.  I spent the better part of the afternoon reading various and wonderful newspapers and magazines offered for Everyone’s enjoyment (there are also books available).  I was definitely not alone, but it was very peaceful all the same.    


Le Pain Quotidien
From Yelp
Then it was time to head back to the UES (Upper East Side) to the 67th Street Library for my Women’s Writing Workshop.  This day I finally met Hannalore Hahn who directed the International Women’s Writing Guild for many years.  (The Guild I joined last spring and attended their Spring Conference!)..This meeting brought six Ladies, only one of whom I met before.  After the workshop four of us went around the corner to 1st Avenue to Le Pain Quotidien for a light dinner.  Le Pain Quotidien is a chain whose mission is: Le Pain Quotidien serves simple, elegant boulangerie fare made with organic ingredients whenever possible, in both a take-out and dine-in setting”. (with a large communal table).  There are a number of locations around Manhattan.  I have never been disappointed. 


La Maison du Macaron
from Yelp
Breakfast view before class
Friday morning brought me back to the Muhlenbrg Library for Memoir Writing Class.  We now are forming a really wonderful comradeship.  Following that I met my NYC Friend for coffee at her favorite, La Maison du Macaron.

Friday evening I headed down to the Tribeca Cinema to attend “Fashion in Film” hosted by DailyCandy and Tribeca Film Festival.  First I attended:

Go Behind the SeamsAn intimate conversation with Academy Award-winning costume designer Catherine Martin, as she discusses her acclaimed work on Baz Luhrmann’s Oscar-nominate films, and shares insights on her craft, process, and future plans. Moderated by Simon Collins, Dean of the School of Fashion at Parsons The New School of Design.

Following the discussion there were passed appetizers in the bar, then I attended a sneak preview of “Romeo and Juliet”. 
Romeo and Juliet, William Shakespeare’s epic and searing tale of love, is revitalized on screen by writer Julian Fellowes (Downton Abbey) and director Carlos Carlei (The Flight of the Innocent). An ageless story from the world’s most renowned author is reimagined for the 21stCentury. This adaptation is told in the lush traditional setting it was written, but gives a new generation the chance to fall in love with the enduring legend. With an all-star cast including Hailee Steinfeld, Douglas Booth, Paul Giamatti and Stellan Skarsgard, it affords those unfamiliar with the tale the chance to put faces to the two names they’ve undoubtedly heard innumerable times: Romeo and Juliet. Every generation deserves to discover this lasting love.
Romeo and Juliet (2013) Poster
This evening was free of charge!

Saturday morning as I waited to walk  with my Friend to the first class of Philosophy 2, I felt like a kid on the first day of school again!  It was wonderful to see familiar faces, catch up on our summers. And, meet interesting new People as well.  Such a treat, and only 4 blocks away on my street.
Cascabel TaqueriaAfter class, Kristi and I celebrated our final lunch as “roommates” where we began it a year ago, at Cascabel Taqueria .  As always it was great.  We celebrated how far we’ve come in our healing confident, with trepidation still, that we will be stronger and healthier than ever as we move forward in our lives.


 












No comments:

Post a Comment