Friday, October 4, 2013

My Move

                                "Don't give up before the Miracle happens!"      
                                                       Fannie Flagg (author of "Fried Green Tomatoes")
Home Sweet Home still for sale!
As I sat waiting for my last load of laundry to dry, surrounded by the remaining boxes to be loaded onto the UHaul truck the next morning, I was filled with..pain, sadness, fear, excitement…God help me.  I know I will feel the peace that NYC brings me..but it is truly surreal thinking that I will never “come home” to 53 Pleasant Street.  I have loved my little home.  So very many wonderful memories. (Unfortunately some painful, so ultimately, I know this is the right move, literally.)
This whole process, as I mentioned about my Estate Sale, has been quite an experience.  The process of clearing out, getting rid of, selling my beloved “stuff” continued for almost two weeks beyond the Sale.  Thank God for Facebook!  My Friend and I reposted on the Milton Yard Sale page pictures of the many items still for sale.  It was almost a full-time job keeping up with the texts, the showings, the discussing, the moving ..
One Lovely Lady who bought a lot of my furniture unfortunately has a sad tale to tell..Who doesn’t?   It has been confusing and dramatic..the furniture still sits in my home, the check was finally deposited..But, please God, it will all be legit.  (Thanks, to Mom, coming to the rescue, and will get her into the house to get it moved out..).  Lots of hugs in understanding and comradeship.
My downstairs fridge now sits in the Employees’ lunch room of the nearby Amtrak Station.  Another Lovely Lady came with some co-workers on their lunch hour, and I managed to give them a couple of other treasures they couldn’t live (I wouldn't let them leave) without.  As Amtrak Lovely Lady left wondered who else she could find to text in the middle of the night.  Hugging me a fond farewell.
Everyone seems to put stuff on their lawns with free signs.  So, I followed suit.  And it all disappeared..old toy-chest, coolers, furniture, pictures..I chased one nice Lady into my house.  She filled her car three times on different days for her Friends moving up from various islands..More hugs farewell.  She wishes she could buy my home.  I do too!
100MEDIA$IMAG0557.jpgMy beautiful large Oriental Rug (American machine made, but I loved it) has found a new home in the study of a Girls’ Dorm at Milton Academy.  I find this poignantly fitting somehow as my Maternal Grandmother worked there most of her life, mostly in the Headmasters homes.  More hugs with the "Dorm Mom" who sent a picture sent of my rug in the girls’ new study.
Milton Move Team!
Moving Day
Three wonderful young Men helped me move stuff into storage, then load the truck.  They were so kind knowing how difficult, and wonderful, this move is.  I will be forever grateful.  Thanks, you know who you are.  And, my dear Friend, sweated along with us then fed us lunch.  There are not enough words for You..
On my “final” night Mom, Katie, and I went to a little Pub, Darcy’s, that is always sure to please.  I couldn’t eat much but it was a wonderful way to just be together. 
NYC Move team!
Margahootie time!
At 6am on a beautiful Tuesday morning, One of those Dear Young Men drove my big truck down to NYC for me.  We unloaded my stuff (OMG..I thought I had done such a great job purging..), and put Kris’ stuff into storage while she finds herself her next home in the big City. Thanks so very much to Kris' Friend who hwlpwd us!  After that hard-working, sweaty, but surprisingly easy adventure, Dennis, Kristi and I went to where we seem to go before and after moves, Cascabel Taqueria.
To quote Katie: "Yikes!"
48 hours later!
It was interesting to see how I got it all to fit into my tiny new home….I purged some more, and now must find a way and place to donate it.  My first true adventure as a New Yorker, guess I’ll have to find a cabbie kind enough to help me..may be the only time I miss having a car!  Less than 48 hours of moving my “life” into my new home, it’s amazing.
                      "Never, never give up."  Winston Churchill
                                    



                                           






No comments:

Post a Comment