Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Week 1

                                                "I am grateful for what I am and what I have.
                                                             My thanksgiving is perpetual.
                                           It is surprising how contented once can be with nothing
                                                             definite- only a sense of existence."
                                                                                                  Henry David Thoreau

I have been a New Yorker for a week.  I don’t believe it has sunk in, especially since I am living in the same apartment that Kristi and I shared, the Hx3.  But I love it.  I am surrounded by my special things from my suburban home mixed with a couple of pictures I bought just for here.  It is going to be wonderful.
It only took me 2 days to make this space mine.  On Thursday I celebrated by going to one of my favorite places, the Conservatory Water (Model Boat Pond) in Central Park, and treated myself to a wonderful grilled chicken salad.  I read for awhile enjoying the serenade of a violinist.  Later in the afternoon I walked to the 67th Street Library for my monthly Women’s Writing Group.  As we did last month, a few of us had a light supper at Le Pain Quotidien.  Wonderful day.

Columbus Circle
Friday I began down in Chelsea, breakfast at the Green Café in Flatiron, then to Muhlenberg Library for my Memoir Class.  Found a note on the door that it was cancelled for the day.  Not to worry, I spent a couple of hours writing.  I then met my NYC Friend and we had coffee at our regular La Maison du Macaron..  Did some shopping at the neighborhood Trader Joe’s and took my bounty home.  I actually made dinner, which will last me a week..getting used to cooking in a tiny kitchen, and must learn to prepare smaller quantities!  Dropped some mail in to Kristi at Valhalla, but didn’t stay as it was a zoo.  So, I walked..up to Columbus Circle, explored Jazz at Lincoln Center (definitely want to go back), and then happily went home.
My Kind Cabbie
Sojourn
Saturday began with my Philosophy Class.  Love it.  Had a light lunch with a couple of my Ladies at Hale and Hearty on Lexington.  This is a chain of cafes around the city with excellent soups, salads, and sandwiches.  I came home and gathered up my newest pile of purged items, and dragged them downstairs.  The very first Cabbie that stopped graciously helped e get this load the to the Goodwill a few blocks away Saturday evening I treated myself to dinner at Sojourn.  I wanted to watch the Red Sox game (don’t have live TV in the Hx3 yet).  I had to share the tv with Julio, however, who wanted to watch his beloved Mexican soccer team.  I thoroughly enjoyed the striped bass sushimi, and pan roasted diver scallops (with a butternut puree, hen of the woods mushrooms, speck, and mache).  Enjoyed with a wonderful French Chablis.  Delicious.
Sunday was a warm drizzly day, but I made my way over to the Gracie Square Art Show and poked around.  It was just a few blocks away at the Charles Shurz Park.   I managed to come away with a lovely photograph of the bridges taken years ago from the World Trade Center.  Final piece for the Hx3.  I then made my way down to Chelsea to meet my NYC Friend , and Friends, to see a presentation by the Hudson Guild Theatre Company,  New York Ladies a celebration of women who write with wit.”  A wonderful afternoon.
Monday I walked and walked, along the East River then home along 2nd Avenue.  Went down to my fav TJ Maxx and Bed Bath and Beyond in search of a frame for my new artwork.  Found one, came back to the Hx3 and now I am completely at home.  In the evening I headed over to Park Slope in Brooklyn for an evening with the Moth at The Bell House on 7th Street.  From its website: The Moth is an acclaimed not-for-profit organization dedicated to the art and craft of storytelling. It is a celebration of both

the raconteur, who breathes fire into true tales of ordinary life, and the storytelling novice, who has lived through something extraordinary and yearns to share it. At the center of each performance is, of course, the story – and The Moth’s directors work with each storyteller to find, shape and present it.

Since its launch in 1997, The Moth has presented thousands of stories, told live and without notes, to standing-room-only crowds worldwide.

Moth shows are renowned for the great range of human experience they showcase. Each show starts with a theme, and the storytellers explore it, often in unexpected ways. Since each story is true and every voice authentic, the shows dance between documentary and theater, creating a unique, intimate, and often enlightening experience for the audience.

Moth stories dissolve socio-economic barriers, expose vulnerabilities, and quietly suggest ways to overcome challenges

I was not alone.  It was mobbed, and very interesting.  On the way home I popped into Sojourn for my Monday night dose of live music.
Tuesday was the first week anniversary of my move-in.  It was a beautiful day.  So, I did what I seem to do best right now..walk.  I walked over to Central Park.  The leaves are starting to change.  It is so lovely.  I spent a few hours reading in the Hallett Nature Sanctuary, south of the Wollman Rink between 60-62 Streets.  It is not normally open as it is still being conserved.  I then meandered down The Mall, through the Bethesda Terrace, ending at the Boathouse where I treated myself to a wonderful glass of wine, and continued reading (my dear Uncle’s unpublished book, so very poignant).  Later that evening I once again crossed the street to Sojourn for more live music (and catch some of the Sox game) and had a wonderful time making the acquaintance, perhaps new friendship, of an interesting English Lady who comes to NYC often on business!?

No comments:

Post a Comment