Friday, September 20, 2013

Sink hole, Ikea, and Estate Sale..

                          "There is no greater loan than a sympathetic ear."
                                              Frank Tyger, American cartoonist, columnist and humorist


Home Sweet Home for Sale
After a wonderful week practice living in New York City, I arrived to my little home with the For Sale sign on the lawn and found a pole at the end of my driveway.  Upon closer inspection, a kind soul (later discovered to be my next door neighbor) had placed it so no one got hurt.  While I was in NYC, Milton got a lot of rain, thus opening up a huge sink hole where a massive tree once stood.  We lost that tree a few years ago.  (Losing huge trees is very expensive, yet another reality of being a homeowner.) 
If that wasn’t a prelude of irony for the week ahead, nothing was.  I woke Sunday feeling pretty glum, and overwhelmed. Am I crazy to be going ahead with this dream?  Why won’t my lovely little home sell more quickly?  With these and many other thoughts rolling around and around in my mind, I was extremely restless.  I knew I wanted to do some shopping for my NYC life, little and assorted sundries that would be much cheaper in my favs: Christmas Tree Shop, Ocean State Job Lots, and the like, than in NYC.  That would keep my mind occupied while helping the overall economy?!
Ikea Friends
Off I went poking through my beloved Stores.  Ikea lies between these favs.  Most days the thought of it makes me go into panic attack mode.  This day I thought it would be perfect to get lost roaming through it.  It’s known for its storage and the like items, right?  Well, I actually found only a couple of small things I couldn’t live without, but, boy, was it a great diversion.  I had never actually eaten there, and I found myself ravenous.  I picked up a huge lunch (Swedish meatballs, mashed potatoes, and lingonberry sauce, with a decadent looking dessert for about $10).  I sat near the kiddy section and watched the munchkins eat and enjoy the tv.  I was also thoroughly entertained by a very kind Gentleman and his Lady Friend.  Perfect. I managed to find exactly what I wanted for storage needs in another go-to, Ann and Hope.  Don’t you love when that happens?   I managed to pick myself up a bit, for that day, anyway.
Admiring the art!
I wasn’t prepared for the emotional wallop that my Ladies and I would receive over the  weekend.  (I’m still operating in the comfortably numb state while going through this process of letting go of everything in and about my home.)  We had an Estate sale planned for Saturday.  Friday night Cousins came over to help setup for the sale along with much wine and giggles.  The Girls and I then stayed up til 4am, chatting , reminiscing, and crying.
The cast of characters that roamed through my precious home during our Estate Sale defy description.  Katie checked behind the bathroom shower curtain more than once after the sale ended. 
Photo: Look who showed up to sell lemonade! Thanks ladies! Karen Finnerty Harris
My Princess Helpers!
What was amazing, and wonderful, were the People who did show up to help, and show support.  My very Dear Friend, without whom I would not have made it through the last couple of years; actually we have gotten each other through the last 15 years.  Friends of my Daughters from high school.   Kristi’s close friend whose Dad and Sister showed up and bought stuff.  Katie’s who decided my marketing stunk, brought her husband home, came back with balloons a huge sign, and set up a lemonade stand at the end of the driveway to draw people in.  It worked!  I made my biggest sales with her Princesses selling lemonade, cookies, and candy!  Mom came by on her way to the Red Sox-Yankees game.  One of my favorite patients showed up to say hi and hang out on a lovely Saturday, to say a personal farewell.  My Brother showed up and bought a painting he absolutely doesn’t need.  My other Brother’s best Friend stopped by to say hi and then came back later to offer his truck in the move.  I am blessed.
Exhausted @ La Paloma
Silly @ La Paloma
 Saturday night we crashed after eating one of the Girls’ favorite crockpot dinners; our last dinner together in our beloved home.  We did also manage to get to our favorite go-to restaurant on Sunday evening, La Paloma. 
My Ladies responses to our weekend as posted on Facebook (and shared with their permission!)
 Katie: Emotionally exhausted from the process of saying goodbye to my childhood home. It's nice to know I have the exact same belief system as I did when I was 8.
 

Mum and "free stuff"..
From Kristi: I've gotten really used to leaving my hometown for great adventures, but this morning I said goodbye to my childhood home for good. It was extremely bittersweet to say the least. But overall I am so grateful for the love and support of the family and friends and the times that I had there that have helped shape me into the person I am today. Now, on to the next chapter...
We Will survive!  The sink hole is now filled in with a lovely huge Mum plant on top!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment