Friday, September 13, 2013

Boston, You're my Home

Boston is actually the capital of the world. You didn't know that? We breed smart-ass, quippy, funny people. Not that I'm one of them. I just sorta sneaked in under the radar.  John Krasinski

Jersey BoysWhat do you get the important Ladies in your life when they want, nor need, anything for their birthdays?  A good time spent together.  I brought the “Aunties” (my Mom and her Sister) to “The Jersey Boys” while it was in Boston.  I don’t believe the show needs an explanation.  It is as good and as much fun as Everyone says it is.  I knew I had really “scored” when my Mom said that this show and Les Miz are her two favorites. (I brought her to both as gifts!)

 Brooks Reeves and Angela Smith are part of the cast of Zeitgeist Stage Company’s production of Alan Ayckbourn’s “Life of Riley.”
From the Boston Globe
A week later, I joined two friends to see “Life of Riley” put on by the Zeitgeist Theatre Company.  This company’s founding director is a great guy.  David Miller has been getting tremendous reviews for his shows for a few years now.
From Yelp: appetizers @ Masa
Before the show, we enjoyed a wonderful light dinner at Masa on Tremont Street.  Their special appetizer, tapas, plate made for great sharing.  My Friends loved their margaritas while I enjoyed sangria.  It’s a true pleasure to enjoy theatre in my own home city.

Zeitgeist Theatre’s Spring Production gave myself and Friends yet another great night out.  Appe’s at Masa again began our evening. (Why mess with a good thing?) "Punk Rock" was excellent if not grueling.  David Miller, et Al, almost cancelled the show as the subject matter was made all the more raw due to the Marathon Madness.  I agree that the “Show must go on.”  Glad, as always to see a production of David’s.
From Zeitgeist's website
View of Copley Square from my old office
Boston Living CenterAs I get ready to move to New York City, I am trying to do, see, and be in my beloved hometown of Boston.  I went back to the Living Center this week to help out with lunch.  It is amazing how gracious, polite, and endearing People are, especially when they could take the “whoa is me” attitude.  I decided to walk around Copley Square a bit, which was a personal mistake.  Saying goodbye to so many homes is tough.  (Working there for 6 years was awesome.  My office had a magnificent view of the Square).
But, I did totally enjoy seeing some of the “Globes” around the Hancock Tower and Copley Square.  From The Boston Globe’s August 15 edition: “Cool Globes: Hot Ideas for a Cooler Planet” has landed in Boston. The public art project, for which artists designed globes with green strategies to contend with environmental issues, originated in Chicago in 2007 and has traveled the world. The globes, 48 in all, can be found at sites such as the Esplanade, Copley Square, and Logan Airport. The Common is globe central, with 26.”  I had first seen them while driving down Tremont Street.  Very cool to see some up close!

It is so bittersweet to say Farewell to my hometown, for awhile at least.  I have stopped “planning the future”, and for the first time in my life, am “going with the flow” (as rough as that is some days, but I am an ex-white-water rafter, so I have some experience ..).

                                    Technically, I split my time between N.Y.C. and Boston.
                                                                                                            Junot Diaz


 

No comments:

Post a Comment