Tuesday, March 25, 2014

4th Universalist Society's VDay

                                        "To be an artist is to believe in life."   Henry Moore

Gearing up for yet another VDay event, actually a weekend of events, kept me very busy for a couple of weeks.  It started off with a unique Concert-Drama “Talking to Schubert” at 4th Universalist Society's Gothic Church on Central Park West, a perfect setting for such a piece.  Husband-wife team Emir Gamsizoglu and Ege Maltepe  put together a really interesting multi-media play-classical music concert as the kick-off fundraiser for our VDay celebrations.
Happy Birthday Mom!
Amongst all the preparations were my rituals: music nights and birthday celebrations at Sojourn, writing class up in the Bronx, Philosophy class followed by lunch at Gracie Mews Diner with friends, as well as a trip “home” overnight for Mom’s birthday and some appointments.  It is truly bittersweet driving around my hometown now with no home to go to.  It was nice to see Mom, and have a birthday dinner in Cambridge with she and Katie, and spend time with my special Friend.  And of course, catch up with Auntie at her hangout, Brueggers in East Milton Square!
Walking to the train
I even managed to get to one of my favorite places, the NYPL, for a lecture moderated by one of my new favorite people who started the International Women Artists’ Salon.  “The Ins, Outs, Pitfalls, and Rewards of Self Publishing” was part of March’s National Small Press Month; an informative and entertaining discussion with a true cast of characters.
4th U from the Internet
Finally, the weekend of 4th U’s Vday arrived.  I am officially a holy lady again with all the time I spent at Church this past weekend!  I have learned to love that old building, its nooks and crannies, the myriad rooms, alcoves, and hiding places.  A very special group of Ladies have been presenting Eve Ensler’s “The Vagina Monologues” for many years.  100% of the proceeds go to agencies that work toward ending violence toward women, with 10% going to VDay.org.  This year’s beneficiaries were: Safe Horizons, Restore, and Haitian Women for Haitian Refugees.  

My official duty was Volunteer Coordinator.  I’m getting good at it.  And, if I may share, I have had a number of People tell me they’d work anywhere with me in my various volunteer assignments since arriving in NYC.  Now if I could transfer this into a job!?  I digress.  I also felt like a Girl Scout Leader again as I made 100 bracelets to sell in our VCafe/Shop.
We had beautiful art displayed throughout the Sacristy.  A Silent Auction very successfully raised quite a bit of funds for our cause.  All this as the backdrop of the main event, four presentations of  Eve Ensler plays, “The Vagina Monologues” and “The Good Body.”  It was beautiful, moving, and wonderful.
I constantly thank my lucky stars for the wonderful People I am privileged to meet, work, and play with in my new hometown, NYC. 
Cast of "The Vagina Monolgues"




Cast and Directors of "The Good Body"











No comments:

Post a Comment