Saturday, April 5, 2014

Week 25: Broadway Cares, etc.

                                      There's nothing that can match Broadway for stature and dignity.   Sammy Davis, Jr.


Madonna and Child with Two Angels (Senigallia Madonna)
Madonna and Child with Two Angels (Senigallia Madonna)
Late afternoon on a recent Saturday, feeling a bit blah I took myself over the MET (Metropolitan Museum of Art) for a glass of wine on the Balcony Bar.  Reading while enjoying the classical music, savoring my wine, and pricey truffle popcorn, I felt at peace. I then meandered through a gallery holding a special, small Piero della Francesca exhibit. Perfect antidote.
Digressing a bit, I’d love to share one of my perfect days.  Don’t you love when life gives us many of these? After Katie graduated from undergrad; she worked for the summer; then did her backpacking gig around Europe.  The beginning of that adventure is a story in itself. The plan was to meet her in Italy to play for a couple of weeks. (I mentioned recently the reason for that and literally bumping into a family member of that lovely young Mom here in NYC.)  Anyway, I found an interesting expat while researching that trip on the internet, Anne Robichaud (Anne's Italy). We spent a few amazing days doing trips with her around Assisi. She invited us on a private trip doing the “Piero della Francesca trail”. I had never heard of him, only knowing the obvious Renaissance masters, Michelangelo, etc. That very special day made me a huge fan.
From its website
On another evening I met with a young man who had been a regular at Kristi’s last bar. He and his crazy Partner own


Manhattan Walking Tours.  I have participated in their Hell’s Kitchen Food Tour, excellent. I went to Alex for advice, and shared a wonderful dinner with him, and friends at Kashkavel Garden  (on 9th between 55/56). A wonderful evening getting great advice, meeting new lovely people, it doesn’t get much better than that.

Bebe Wood and Julie White at Broadway Backwards 2014
Hosts Bebe Wood and Julie Wood (from the website)
Photo Coverage: Inside the Ninth Annual BROADWAY BACKWARDS Benefit!
Robert Bartley and Patricia Morsion (from Broadway World website)
Easily one of my favorite pizza joints in NYC
John's Pizza
After the wind down from 4thU’s VDay weekend, I got alovely invitation from my “roomies” from my Winter in Manhattan Odyssey. They are very active in Broadway Cares and had an extra ticket to the fundraiser “Broadway Backwards.”  (Unfortunately I benefited from the illness of a lovely Lady. I hope she’s better.)  What an amazing night.  The show was a who’s who of Broadway stars. Probably the most moving number was by Patricia Morison, days from her 99th birthday, the original Kate of “Kiss me Kate” (1948). She sang a bawdy balled from the show, “Brush up your Shakespeare.  She got a five minute applause before she sang, and another long standing ovation following!  Following the show the after party was at John’s Pizza  a former Church in the heart of the theatre district.  How fun it was to be able to personally congratulate and thank some of the performers!

Now starts the time where I must seriously start “the job search.” Ugh..I cannot go back into dentistry, physically and mentally it would not be good for me. I have come too far in those regards. I also understand that it will not be easy. But, I think I remember someone once saying, singing actually “If I can make it here (NYC)…” I like, and am very good at events. All of the organizations I have worked with (volunteered with) will tell you so. Now, to monetize that.  I have read, been told, that resumes must be no longer than one page. How do I do that?
Anna Deveare Smith
Sarah Lewis
NYPL Live presented yet another great discussion with Anna Deveare Smith and Sarah Lewis discussing Sarah’s latest book.  From the NYPL website: Is failure a gift to the creative process? Sarah Lewis investigates the importance of grit and perseverance in her new book The Rise.
CityElla NYC
From that wonderful event I went down to Nolita to meet some wonderful Ladies who started, and others who are contributors like me, to a new ‘ezine for New York City women, CityElla.  As is often the case these days I was the Mom of the group, but it was a great time with Ladies I think will be wonderful to get to know, and a piece of mine has been published already!
Terroir Murray Hill
Exploring new places to have a bite is always a treat, so I met one of my fav ladies from the Food Film Festival @ Terroir in Murray Hill to discuss the upcoming Food Film Festival in Charleston, S.C.  I am helping with the volunteers (again, to monetize this new skill as a career..).  I can’t wait to explore a new city with this always amazing, and fun, group of people.
Displaying IMG_1271.JPG
Memoir Class froom Riverdale Library
Finishing my memoir class up in the Bronx with a culminating event was a wonderful way to complete a lovely class with lovely Ladies.  I plan to use my piece as part of the memoir I’m writing about a very beloved Uncle. (Someday it will be complete, no promises as to when).
Mani/pedi service area.
From Yelp
Rounding out the week at Bliss spa, getting a mani-pedi, a gift from VDay, was the perfect way to get ready for a Family Reunion in Tennessee.  My Mom has not had her four “kids” (and assorted family members) together for 10 years.  She is 80 this year.  We will celebrate just outside the Smokey Mountains National Park, four generations!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment