Thursday, April 17, 2014

Back to Civilization

                         “April hath put a spirit of youth in everything."  William Shakespeare

Spring in the Park
Back to “civilization.”  Boy, I guess I am becoming a real city slicker snob.  Coming home, it was a boon to my soul to walk most mornings in my Park (Central), and see the blossoming of spring, literally.  I am so blessed!
Sping time @ Sojourn!
Catching up with a woman with whom I coordinated the ESL program at YearUp years ago in Boston was a treat.  We met recently on a very snowy day.  This evening was a taste of spring at my Sojourn.  In touching base last fall we found we were in the same neighborhood in NYC!  It was wonderful having a friend join me as I met her new beau, and caught up on some amazing projects they are doing.  I wish them well, and look forward to watching their progress.  Of course, I stayed for my Monday night music with Keren and the Sugar Daddys.
From Stoop to Nuts blog; Kurt Gertsman
Since it was the second week of the month, I headed down to the Cornelia Street Café in the Village to enjoy Thomas Pryor’s “City Stories: Stoops to Nuts.”   My first experience attending one of Tommy’s storytelling events, in January, had this close knit group of people reeling from the death of a man I wish I had known.  From this particular evening’s program:  “Kurt Gerstman a close friend of Cornelia Street Café and Stoops to Nuts died suddenly earlier this year.  He was scheduled to do this show, and he will.  We’re honoring Kurt in a showcase tribute featuring a short film by Dean Dacian.”   Cornelia Streets Cafe’s owner, Robin Hirsch, joined the tribute by repeating the wedding toast a beloved Uncle gave at his wedding many years ago.  It was poignant and fitting.  (This Uncle was bunkmates with Anne Frank’s father at Auschwitz.).  Besides the beautiful film, Robin Gelfenbien and David Noven rounded out the evening of stories.  I will be following Robin.  She has an interesting career, and also hosts a monthly storytelling series, “Yum’s the Word” which features homemade ice cream cake!    It was a beautiful night. 
As I love continuing my traditions, I was joined by my Library Friend at Marie’s (Crisis) for an hour or so.  I love sharing my favorite places with friends.  Rounding up my night at my Sojourn for Tuesday night music with Gus et al, surrounded my neighborhood friends, was the icing on my cake! 
My classroom..Grand Central
Trying to get comfortable, and really learn my new Mac Air (so afraid to leave my trusty little Acer PC laptop behind..), I signed up for a 3 day online course through Creative Live.  Good idea in theory, I  got lost almost immediately.  I also had a wonderful one to one class at the Apple store in Grand Central.  I will figure it out.  God know, this will be “easy” compared to all the other things I have had to figure out, especially in the last two years.
Videology's "party" room
Always delighted when I hear from my friends at Rooftop Films, I accepted an invitation to: : "Filmwax Live at Videology”  Filmwax Radio is a Brooklyn-based podcast that may be either accessed from Rooftop Films' website or iTunes. The show includes myriad conversations with folks from the entire spectrum of indie films. To kick of the afternoon, Rooftop Films' Dan Nuxoll will discuss highlights of the 2014 Summer Series lineup, followed by a series of interviews with up-and-coming filmmakers such as Onur Tukel (Summer of Blood), Gillian Robespierre (Obvious Child) and Desiree Akhavan (Appropriate Behavior).  Meet the filmmakers and find out what you'll see (and what NOT to miss) at Rooftop Films this year.”  Rooftop Films has exposed me to amazing films, events in the film world, and cool places and spaces in NYC.  I am so grateful!  This particular afternoon brought me to Williamsburg in Brooklyn for the first time.  Cool, gritty neighborhood that reminds me a bit of the East Village.  Apparently it is as expensive as the East Village as well.  Videology is yet another cool place, a video store cum bar, fun!

William Shakespeare
Drom Drunken Shakespeare's website
Rounding out my first week home was the Cast Party for 4th U’s VDay.  It was held at our loving organizer’s home, one of the coolest apartments I have had the pleasure of visiting on the UWS on Riverside Drive..If I could spend the rest of my life living in cool NYC apartment, how fun would that be?!  Each time I get to know these Ladies a bit more, I fell so blessed.  Many of us have plans to go see “our Eve’s” one Woman show, “Natural Novice,” written and performed by Siobhan O’Loughlin, in June.  (I also want to go see, “Drunken Shakespeare” which has one of my favorite ladies from both VDays, Christina Liu, performing in it.)

Spring skies
Trying to buckle down to “the “ job search..I am so dragging my feet..I did, finally I think, get my resume where I want it.  I saw an interesting job on “the” events magazine’s website, sent a short cover letter as instructed with my resume attached. I got a response!! From the CEO!  After a preliminary phone interview, we decided not to go forward.  There is so much to learn.  Social media is the norm, and all encompassing.  I thought I was so cool being on Facebook.  Not nearly enough, now I must learn Instagram, Foursquare, become proficient on LinkedIn, not to mention Excel, Raizor’s Edge, Outlook, Powerpoint.  I am truly exhausted.  But, I will persevere!

No comments:

Post a Comment