Monday, October 8, 2012

Allowing myself to be

East River...3 blocks form home
"Spend the afternoon.  You can't take it with you."
                                                                   Annie Dillard, writer

                Allowing myself to be….a New Yorker?!  When I shared with a Patient all the things I was doing during my “Winter in Manhattan Odyssey”, her response was: “That’s great, but you know New Yorkers don’t do that, right?”  (She still owns, but rents, her UWS apartment.)  I admitted that yes, but I had set an example with my Roomies at that time and made them take more advantage of what NYC has to offer!

            Now, since I have a year (although already a month has flown by!), I don’t feel as compelled to be “out there” every moment.  Arriving to the apartment around 1:00am Friday, Kristi was right behind me as she worked the early shift!  So, we sat up chatting (and yes, drinking some wine) for a couple of hours.  But that’s a huge point to this year, as well, healing, and being together.
East River @ twilight

Kristi was up and out fairly early as she actually went home to Milton for a fund-raiser for a dear friend who was tragically killed a couple of years ago.  I had the Happy Healing Home to myself.  I read, wrote, researched some goings on in the city, and got very lazy.  If anything, I’m finding there’s too much to do in this city I’m loving more each week!  Finally, at around 6pm, I made myself get dressed and get out.  None of things I researched got done.  But I did my meander my neighborhood, loving the possibly last summer like evening for the year.  
Sojourn fro our window
Being very hungry, I decided to treat myself to the restaurant literally outside my window, across the street.  I am so glad I did!  Sojourn (79th Street between 2nd and 3rd Avenues) is wonderful.  It seems to be a happening spot for the younger crowd based on the noise with our windows being open.  But early (especially by New York standards) it’s great.  As always when alone, I sat at the bar and had a lovely chat with a Lady from the neighborhood.  She proceeded to introduce to me to Everyone, so I now have my place where people have learned my name!
 
Mike Kelley's Memory Ware
Saturday I had booked another afternoon with New York Gallery Tours (www.nygallerytours.com).. Rafael Risemberg had chosen the Upper East Side, my neighborhood, so it was especially enticing.  I had the added pleasure of finding the Lady who first introduced me to Raphael’s tours, the photographer Robin Platzer (Twin Images).
James Rosenquists' Meta Universe
                It was a wonderful few hours.  Rafael had chosen 4 Galleries in mansions, one in a carriage house, and 2 in traditional spaces.   One of the mansions was actually the site of Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt’s Wedding Reception.  What a treat!  This time I really liked most of the art. 

Jean-Michael Othoniel (my favorite)
After the tour I went to Midtown to pick up some information for Wild Berry Traveling at the official NYC Information Center   (www.nycgo.com) on 7th Avenue between 52nd and 53rd Streets.  There are a few other locations in the city as well.  Being in the neighborhood, I decided to try my luck for tickets in for the Book of Mormon lottery.  (2 ½  hours before each show you can enter the lottery which is 2 hours before…great seats for well under the going ticket price, right now only $33).  Alas, no luck again.  Decided to pop in and see Kristi at work at Valahalla (on 9th Avenue @ 54th Street) for a bit.  
Karin Kneffel
O Zhang's I Am Your Mirror
Sunday became another lovely lazy day.  We did throw clothes on to go across the street to Sojourn, this time for brunch.  We decided we will become regulars! 

Monday, we both worked!  I started working on my website for Wild Berry Traveling, and if I do say so myself, I'm liking it and am quite proud of myself! (with lots of help from Kristi!)

Le Moulin a Cafe
From Tina C on Yelp
Before heading home, I had the hankering for French onion soup.  So I researched on Yelp and found a little bistro, Le Moulin Cafe, on York bewteen 76th and 77th, 4 blocks away!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment