Friday, October 5, 2012

Another Music-filled Weekend

       "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.  Live the life you imagined." 
                                                                   Henry David Thoreau
 
Original Binding Productions, Inc. Logo
Original Binding Production Inc Logo
  Another weekend filled with music, this time back in New York City.  Kristi was invited to be a founding member of  Original Binding Productions Inc.  From their Facebook page: “Company Overview:  A not-for-profit multi-media production company with a focus on community and nurturing the growth and performance of original work.”  I have been very fortunate to attend a few of this amazing group of artists’ productions.  This last weekend of September they staged “Paul Caron’s Acoustic Cabaret”.  It was a remarkable and thoroughly enjoyable production.  And yes, Kristi sang!  (Another thing I’m learning is that there are theatres tucked into every neighborhood of New York, in many unassuming places.)
Concert Stage
            Saturday I had another amazing adventure.  I spent the day at the Great Lawn on Central Park volunteering for the Global Citizen Concert.  Years ago, when I brought a dear Friend and two of her Daughters to New York for their first adventure here (I’m the only person she trusted enough to do this!), one of the Girls asked how I knew so much as I shared little tidbits of history, and trivia about New York,  I replied, reading.  That is how I food out about this concert.  I cannot remember for the life of me where I read about it, but when I did the week before the concert, I sent an email.  Simple as that, that is what I have started to do for many things.  When I see something interesting or worthwhile, I ask to volunteer. It’s awesome, especially since I’m on a tighter budget now.  Win-win, I spend enjoyable time with interesting people, helping in my small way.
Directing VIPs

           From their website: “Global Citizen (www.globalcitizen.org) is a tool to amplify and unite a generation’s call for justice. It’s a place for you to learn, and act, to bring an end to extreme poverty.

Global Citizens know that a world that deprives 1.3 billion people of their basic rights and opportunities is unjust and unacceptable. We celebrate the efforts made to cut extreme poverty by half, but recognize more still needs to be done. We know that people living in extreme poverty are working hard themselves, and that we need to learn and take action to change the rules that trap them in broken systems.

We use Global Citizen to learn more about issues, so we can take effective action for change and find opportunities to support campaigns and organizations creating sustainable change. Right now Global Citizen is in launch phase, but in coming weeks and months it will feature new issues, with the latest information and action opportunities, so you can take effective action for change.

Every person has a part to play in writing the story of the end of extreme poverty. Become a Global Citizen, and start your journey here, today.  Global Citizen is powered by the Global Poverty Project. We're a not-for-profit organization whose vision is much like yours: to live in a world without extreme poverty. (www.globalpovertyproject.com)”

            Sunday, both of us being exhausted and bone tired from our busy weekends, we cocooned in our Happy Healing Home, reading, chatting, and ordering burgers from bed!  We ate them on the couch, though.  I’m a true New Yorker now! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment