Sunday, October 21, 2012

Why do vacation weeks go by so quickly?

                                 "Those that say you can't take it with you never saw a car packed for a vacation trip." ~Author Unknown

                Why do vacation weeks go by so quickly?  As I write this I am a few hours from leaving our Happy Healing Home (to be referred to Hx3 furthermore) to head back to Boston to “reality”; one that still takes my breath away when I dwell on it too much.
Things seen while meandering...
A few weeks ago, I met an interesting Patient.  She is a freelance writer who owns a condo on Commonwealth Avenue, and recently spent 3 months traveling around Europe house-swapping.  Something that you know would pique my interest!  She told me about an organization, Meet, Plan, Go! “At Meet, Plan, Go! we are leading the career break movement in North America; encouraging and teaching others how to travel the world and have it be beneficial to your career. We envision a world where the term ‘career break’ is a part of your overall career strategy.”  My Patient invited me to join her in October for their national event in Boston, but I would in New York.  So, I went to the New York meeting at a Hostel on the Upper West Side.  Very interesting evening. (My Cousin has been a pioneer in so many ways!  She did this in her Twenties,and also introduced me to House-swapping well before the movie, “The Holiday”.)  Our Hx3 is my version of a career break for this year..but then who knows?!
In research to try and get Wild Berry Traveling off the ground and viable, I met with three lodgings relatively close to Hx3.  I like to build relationships, and prefer smaller Inns and hotels when I travel, so I thought for my business, I’d prefer the same.  So many people, myself included for many years, stick to Midtown Manhattan when they come to New York City.  It’s crazy there, all the time.  The neighborhoods have so much flavor, character, and are quieter!  And, if I have clients stay closer to myHx3, it would work better for all concerned.
Lia at 1871 House (139 62 Street between Park & Lexington); Deanna at Affinia Gardens (215 East 64th Street  between 2 & 3rd Avenues); and Daniel  at Gracie Inn Hotel/B&B (502 East 81st Street between York and East End Avenues ) were all so kind to give time out of their very busy days to meet, greet, and show me their respective lodgings.  I hope to do much business with them in the future.
Thursday and Friday nights of my vacation I was once again thoroughly entertained by Original Bindings Productions presentation of NAKED THEATRE, one act plays about being emotionally exposed.  (Kristi sang between each act.)  I have managed to give out many cards for Original Bindings in my travels of the city, as many people I meet love finding small productions.  It’s not always about Broadway!

On my way to theater on Friday night, I went via Grand Central to see: The Start of a Giant Pumpkin Masterpiece Featuring the Largest Pumpkins in the World!   Friday, October 19, 10am–7pm @Taxi Stand (43rd Street and Vanderbilt Avenue).  Master Carver Ray Villafane of Food Network fame and his team of carvers begin to transform these massive pumpkins into a life-size zombie. An intricately carved, glowing 1800+ pound pumpkin, one of the three largest in the world, will also be on display. Spectators are encouraged to pose with the enormous pumpkin for a fun Halloween photo op! 

While there I decide to treat myself to one of my favorite cocktal bars, The Campbell Apartment.  Inside was a zoo, but during good weather seats are added outside.  Since it’s been an almost perfect weather week, and I know the end is near for being outside in the evenings, I happily found a seat.  And, had a wonderful conversation with yet another interesting, lovely Lady!  (She has asked if we may consider dog-sitting for her Puppy in her waterfront home in Williamsburg!)

Saturday I had bought a Daily Candy special with www.iadventure.com for a Chocolate Walking Tour in Soho.  Our guide, Bob Gelber, is a registered New York City Guide who has created a new niche for himself in retirement!  He has a small company, www.WalkinNY.com, as well as being very involved with Big Apple Greeters, Open House NY, and the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and Foods Tours of New York.

From Mariana S on Yelp
Bob gave us a delightful Chocolate filled tour of Soho, visiting Marie Belle (484 Broome ST.), Vosges (132 Spring St), Kee’s Chocolates (80 Thompson St), and finally, Jacques Torres (350 Hudson Street).  Never thought I’d say something like this, while wonderful, got chocolated out!

Twighlight on the High Line
The High Line
Since I was on that side of the city, I meandered through the West village and the Meat Packing District until I came to Gansevoort and Washington Streets, the southern tip of the High Line Park.  The High Line is a public park built on an historic freight rail line elevated above the streets on Manhattan’s West Side. It is owned by the City of New York, and maintained and operated by Friends of the High Line. Founded in 1999 by community residents, Friends of the High Line fought for the High Line’s preservation and transformation at a time when the historic structure was under the threat of demolition. It is now the non-profit conservancy working with the New York City Department of Parks & Recreation to make sure the High Line is maintained as an extraordinary public space for all visitors to enjoy. In addition to overseeing maintenance, operations, and public programming for the park, Friends of the High Line works to raise the essential private funds to support more than 90 percent of the park’s annual operating budget, and to advocate for the preservation and transformation of the High Line at the Rail Yards, the third and final section of the historic structure, which runs between West 30th and West 34th Streets.
Did you know no 2 bridges in Central Park are alike?
Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis Resevoir
               Wonderful, beautiful way to end a great day, I went home thoroughly happy and exhausted.  Sunday Kristi and I took a nice long walk in the Park, Central Park, that is.  Tremendous way to end my first full week in New York living in our Hx3!

Check out my new website for Wild Berry Traveling!  www.wildberrytraveling.com.

 












No comments:

Post a Comment