Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Week 10 Holiday Season has begun


I have always thought of Christmas as a good time; a kind, forgiving, generous, pleasant time; a time when men and women seem to open their hearts freely, and so I say, God bless Christmas!
by Charles Dickens

 
          Nuchas, New York, NY  Tuesday evening I explored a bit of Hunter College getting lost trying to find the President’s Conference Room for the planning meeting for VDay.  The Ladies I met from Brava Drumming were there, and many other interesting Ladies.  I’m kind of fascinated to see how this all comes together.  From there I decided to head down to Union Square to do a bit of shopping, including Trader Joe’s. Mistake, big mistake.  At 9:45 pm the checkout line was wrapped around the store, literally.  Deciding I didn’t need provisions after all, I headed out for home.  Right outside was the Nuchas Food Truck, Artisan Hand-Held Foods, or Argentiain empanadas (www.nuchas).  They were at the NYC Food Film Fest.  And, they won the 2013 Rookie of the Year at the Vendy awards (like the Oscars for NYC Food Trucks).  I created their sign one on of the infamous, to me, chalk boards.  I  bought a delicious croissant for breakfast.
The bar
Sojourn
            Later that night I decided on my Sojourn for more music.  My new/old friends were there.  It is fun, and comfortable.  Just as I was about to leave, this peanut of a Lady came in.  Not a regular.  Somehow she started talking to me…must be the Mom in me.  She was driving through literally from home in Maine where she was home for Thanksgiving, to her Navy base in Virginia.  She needed a break.  She was upset.  A “Boy” had broken her heart when she dropped him off in Newport.  She came to the UES because a couple of years ago during Navy Week.  She came; people embraced she and her friends.  So she felt safe in this neighborhood, and walked into the first place that seemed friendly again.  I couldn’t let her get back in the car at almost 1am to drive 6 more hours.  I gave her my couch.  She silently got up in daylight and left saying thank you and good bye.  Crazy, maybe, but proud of helping a brilliant young woman in our Navy.  I hope she’ll pay it forward some day.
          Wednesday evening I went to a funky show,  Iluminate, Artist of Light at New World Stages on W 50th.  I got the ticket through Play by Play, so the price was definitely great.  From their website: Music, art, and the technological magic of iLuminate bring you a story of adventure and romance told through dance styles from contemporary to hip-hop to breaking and using the power of light. We invite you to join us for "Artist of Light," an original and wholly unforgettable theatrical experience!

           Thursday late afternoon I ventured down to the 67th Street Library for
            my Women’s Writing Workshop and then enjoyed another light dinner
           with a few of the Ladies at our regular Le Pain Quotidien.  From there I
           decided to take my first walk down 5th Avenue to enjoy the beauty of
            the lights.  Although the crowds can be daunting, it never disappoints. 
            I was brought to tears when I witnessed a proposal in front of the tree
            at Rockefeller Center!
            Saturday was our last Philosophy Class for the session.  As always, a wonderful way to start my Saturday.  Many of us plan on being back for Session 3.  From there, my Philosophy Friend and I went over to Gowanus in Brooklyn, to the Bell House for Matt Timm’s Cookie Takedown.  Great fun, although I must say, none of the cookies knocked my sox off.  But, the contestants worked hard, and Matt makes it crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment