Friday, December 20, 2013

Week 11 Enjoying the Season

                              "The greatest achievements were at first and for a time dreams." 
                                                                James Allen, British author


Accepting that life is a roller coaster, and truly making myself go with the flow has been an interesting, if not always easy ride.  I do know for certain now, that “this-whatever it may be- too will pass”..And finally am growing the patience to role with it.  It’s still not easy, and definitely not pain-free..but it is life.  So, on that deep note, I am sometimes “forcing” myself to get out and enjoy the Holidays in my new hometown.  They are one of the major reasons it has been a life’s dream to live here.  I don’t want to waste it.

From Divino's website
The first Sunday in December was the date for a neighborhood tree lighting.  I headed out to Carl Schurz Park in the pitch dark at 4:30pm (that is the toughest part of winter for me I believe..).  It started snowing.  It was beautiful.  I was early, so I stopped into a sweet little Italian restaurant I’ve passed many times, but never been in.  I had a lovely glass of Chianti at Divino (2 Ave between 81-82), and overheard a waitress greet Ladies from Texas who come in once a year for their annual NYC Christmas trip.  I will go back to enjoy dinner.
Carolers
I then walked over to the park which is on the East River, right next to Gracie Mansion.  Why is it so hushed and quiet when the snow falls?  It was a beautiful walk along the river, and the sound of caroling voices lead me to the ceremony just in time for the tree lighting.  I stood above the crowd on a hill with others.  It was beautiful.  I wept with joy? sadness?  both.  I am so glad I went.  As I walked home my Philosophy Friend called and suggested meeting for dinner.  Perfect.  We met at Salvo’s (York & 78th), another small Italian place.  Glad to explore more in my neighborhood, as I keep going to my Sojourn!  I had a very delicious veal parmigiana, but more importantly the company of a new dear friend.
Zucotti Park 1 year later
I got a phone call from the Food Bank for NYC needing help making phone calls for their Vita Tax Program.  So, I spent much of Monday and Tuesday at their downtown office calling People.  Delighted to help, I love having the precious time to do this.  I am learning all the things I do not want to do when I grow up as well! (God, love telemarketers, couldn’t do it.)  Of course, Monday evening I’m sure you know where I was..Sojourn for my neighborly dose of live music! 
Ann Patchett & Elizabeth Gilbert
Celeste Bartos Forum
Tuesday evening, was a very busy, awesome night.  First, I went to the NYPL on 5th Avenue, definitely one of my favorite places in NYC, to listen to two authors whom I have read, and admire.  I don’t know of any woman of a “certain age” who didn’t read Elizabeth Gilbert’s “Eat, Pray, Love” and dream yearningly, even if every place on that year long odyssey wasn’t for them.  I personally could have done all three places very happily.  My first introduction to Ann Patchett was through “Bell Canto”, a beautiful book about a hostage situation, believe it or not.  The second was “Truth and Beauty”, a book about her best friendship with Lucy Grealy, author of “An Autobiography of a Face.”  I told her in the book signing that I believe, I hope, that those two books made me a better dental hygienist, more diligent in my oral cancer exams.  These two interesting, accomplished Ladies became close friends, through the now almost defunct art of letter writing.  Truly wonderful.
From that great experience I headed over to yet another new, for me, neighborhood in Brooklyn.  Red Hook.  The Food Film Festival held their Holiday Party at Hometown Bar-B-Que.  (454 Van Brunt St.  www.hometownbarbque.com.)   I had worked next to the Chef at the NYC FFF..great guy, as is the owner-head chef.  The food and space were excellent.  (New Yorkers..great party space, must be awesome in good weather as it’s very close to the water, which unfortunately for them was not so good during Sandy..They just re-opened..Go!)  Another wonderfully fun evening with some of my new favorite people!  And, the entertainment was a band head-lined by George, founding Director of FFF, and Seth, Executive Director of FFF, joined by friends and FFF “family-members”!

The Dining Room at The Modern
The Modern (from Yelp)
The King Cole Bar at The St. Regis New York.
King Cole Bar (from Yelp)
Wednesday evening I had the great pleasure of connecting with one of my closest friends from the past.  (Thanks to Facebook, I have had the pleasure of re-connecting with many from my past.)  The Renuart Family were dear friends when I lived the Shangri-la life of a young military wife in England.  Gene was a young Captain way back then.  In recent years he retired as a 4-Star General!  (For those not well acquainted with the military, you can’t go higher than that in the Air Force.).  He was in town on business.  Since he was staying in Midtown we enjoyed two of my favorite places, The Modern at Moma for dinner and the King Cole Bar at the St. Regis for an after-dinner port.  (Thanks, Gene. Next time I want to play with Jill!)
Photo
Photo
Anastasia & Brian
Much of the remainder of the week I spent at the Grand Central Holiday Market, helping out my friends at Tuff Kookooshka (http://www.tuffcookie.com).  I also spent time with a good Friend of theirs, Margo Pettiti (www.margopettiti.com) who makes some of the most magnificent men’s scarves I have ever seen, and felt. (However, I would happily wear one!).  I must share a small world story here.  As Margo and I started to get to know each other, she commented on loving my Boston accent, as her Dad is from Dorchester.  I then asked if she had any family in Milton.  Some of her Dad’s cousins are there.  I know some of them!  Gotta love this small world!  Please check out both of these companies.  They are “made in America” at its finest, made by some of the nicest People I know.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment