Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Happy New Year!

      The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.” – Eleanor Roosevelt

Well, I made it.  And, I actually had a pretty good Holiday Season.  I am grateful.  My New Year’s week began by meeting my Library Friend at Rolf’s as she walks by there all the time and had never been.  We saw, and left, as it was a zoo.  We enjoyed a glass of wine across the street before heading to The Stand, a comedy club on 3rd (22-23 Streets) .  It’s free with no drink minimum on Monday nights for the 10pm show.  It was enjoyable, if not awesome.  Couldn’t beat the price, and it was nice to hang out.

New Year’s Eve has never been a big deal as far as “celebrating”.  Oh, in my first adult life as the young Office’s Wife, we had the whole squadron to Rookery Park.  It’s that brunch casserole that became a Christmas tradition.  Actually this year was the first Christmas I have not made that.  Many New Year’s Eves were spent in front of a fire in Vermont.  And, in recent years, I actually volunteered at First Night in Boston.  So, I don’t get excited, one way or another, for that night.  (Last year I conquered that first, being alone, on New Year’s Eve..)   This year, I had a lovely one sharing dinner with my Philosophy Friend and her Family. Not wanting to outstay my welcome, I headed down the street towards home at around 11, and poked into Sojourn.  It was Tuesday, but no music.  I wished my regulars and favorite bartender a Happy New Year and walked up to Central Park.
I got to there just in time for the Midnight Fireworks and the 34th Emerald Nuts Midnight Run.  There were thousands of “nuts” running around the Park!  Many dressed up, many families, all celebrating the New Year with New York Road Runners’ who also sponsor the New York Marathon.   The mission of NYRR is to “help and inspire people through running”.  I’m actually thinking of taking one of their courses.  A wonderful way to the start the year, I love fireworks, and I was certainly not alone!

The Jewish Community Center in ManhattanNew Year’s Day was quite perfect and relaxing.  I spent it at the Jewish Community Center right across town on the West side.  I spent 3 hours doing Melt exercises; for the neck, hip, knees;  for the arms and shoulder; and Melted yoga. What is MELT? The MELT Method® is a breakthrough self-treatment system that restores the supportiveness of the body's connective tissue to eliminate chronic pain, improve performance, and decrease the accumulated stress caused by repetitive postures and movements of everyday living. This patent-pending, pro-active self-treatment technique is backed by science and acclaimed by thousands of devoted MELTers.”   Loved it.  Then an hour was spent with a coach planning a great 2014 which was just okay.  Ended the day with an hour and half of restorative yoga.  My NYC Friend joined me for the final class and we had a lovely cup of cappuccino following it.  Wonderful way to start my new year!    


Morning pastriesMy Women’s Writing Group started the year off with a bang by meeting on January 2.  Fourteen wonderful Ladies met, and a cute as a button High School Lady joined us half way through.  She taught me how to do these hyperlinks.  (I was not surrounded by gentle “love” when I shared my draft of my Christmas blog piece, but very constructive criticism.  But, you know what?  That’s ok.  For maybe the first time my defenses didn’t come to the surface and I thanked everyone.  I still wrote the way I want, and got tremendous response when it was posted.  Thank you!)   It’s a great group, although there can be a pia in everything, and she joined some in the group, as  always, for light dinner after the meeting at Le Pain Quotidien.  It was lovely, except for the drama and trauma created by our resident pia, thus giving credence to the fact that Ladies who dine are a nightmare.  I spoke to the manager and waiter, and hopefully cleared our reputation.
Friday evening was a sad, somber one.  One of my new close Friend’s Father died on Christmas evening, after having dinner with his beloved family.  I went down to Chinatown to attend the wake and service.  What I learned was much.  I learned where my wonderful Friend got his love of food.  It was an honor, and privilege, to understand what a wonderful Man he was, and the Family he left behind loved him dearly.  I love learning about different cultures and its customs.  At a Chinese wake, the Family distributes red envelopes (red symbolizes good luck) with a candy to be eaten that day before going home and a coin to ensure you return home safely.  I have saved the envelope.   
The hibernation began.  First the snow then the cold made me want to just stay inside.  I did drag myself out in the rain, and thankfully not too cold, to deliver food again with the Coalition for the Homeless on Sunday night.  This time I spent the evening with a wonderful Lady and two great men serving Lower Manhattan.  The crowds were much thinner.  Still hibernating as well, I guess.
Monday as I walked into 11 Penn Plaza across from Madison Square Garden,  I was there to work in the lower basement sorting coats for the NY Cares’ coat drive.  OMG, had no idea what a work out that would turn into! (I had to bail on my Library Friend who had offered to treat me to a spinning class she teaches at, another time.)  Once again, I worked with fascinating Ladies, who proved, we all have a story.  After recovering, since it was Monday night, that’s right, across to Sojourn I went for my music!

No comments:

Post a Comment