Sunday, January 19, 2014

Week 16 Tales of Woe and Therapy

              "Either write something worth reading, or do something worth writing about." 
                                                                                                                      Ben Franklin     

New York Public Library - Yorkville Branch Library
Yorkville NYPL
I have been reminded that I am behind on my blog posts, again.  I’ve been busy, frustrated beyond belief, and feeling at peace again.  During the “Polar Vertex” I had scheduled myself to go across the street to volunteer at Computer Basics at the Library.  Due to the cold, very few Seniors showed up.  I had a nice chat with a college student instead reaffirming how blessed I am, and that my true hard work ethic in life has had its rewards.


Later that evening, I ventured out into the frigidity to Midtown to take part in Gotham Writers Open House. It’s been on my radar for awhile, and I thoroughly enjoyed my Creative and Memoir Writing classes.  Since it was Tuesday, I then met my neighbors at Sojourn. 
Bar CentraleHaving discovered a few years ago that it can pay to be in NYC in the cold of January, early one morning I got up early and went to the Bernard Jacobs Theatre to try my luck at Rush seats for Once.  Scored!  Kristi and I met at Bar Centrale for cocktails and a bite to eat before the show.  Once was wonderful, totally different, and better than the movie.  I highly recommend it.  A wonderful evening with one of my favorite People!
Line outside...the beginning..
Thus began the Woes..One of my favorite Family members is about to go on the journey of a lifetime.  My Cousin’s Daughter is a Junior at Bates, and going on a three continent abroad program for the Semester.  To do this much bureaucracy was involved.  Being in New York, I happily went to pickup her Passport that was in NYC in order to get the visa for India.  What I quickly discovered when I went to a nondescript building in Midtown (I was confused as I had passed the Indian Embassy on my visits to the Frick just off 5th Avenue in the Museum Mile area) was that the Embassy outsourced this type of work to a company called BLS International Services (forevermore in my mind the big loser s…heads).  OMG, three visits on three different days, many hours, many texts and phone calls with my cousin, after having been yelled at, discriminated against?, I finally had the passport with visa stamp in my hands.  I haven’t been that frustrated in a very long time..
Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre
UCB from Yelp
Houndstooth Pub from Yelp
Around these lovely visits, of course I did not sit around wallowing. I went to the Frederick Douglass Center on the UWS and spent some time with some adorable, rambunctious first graders at the Bedtime Stories Project (reading, crafts, etc.).  Later that evening I stayed on the West side to meet a friend from Rooftop Films to see an Improv Show at Upright Citizen’s Brigade in Chelsea (which was quite good and provided some much needed giggles),  On the way to the show I stopped into Houndstooth Pub for a bite to eat.  Here I must share an amazing small world story. 
If you know me at all, you know how much I have truly loved working with, for, and “on”, so many People in my career as a Dental Hygieinst.  My Patients kept me going, literally, on many levels.  In my eleven years working in Southie (South Boston), I had the privilege and pleasure of treating many families, sharing in their lives.  Some actually followed me to other practices on the South Shore when I left Southie.  One such Lady was the catalyst for my first mid-life crisis.  I was reading the Irish Sports pages (obituaries) when I saw that my Patient had died from melanoma leaving her husband to raise 3 babies.  I joined Katie in Italy that fall while she was back-backing around Europe following her graduation from college. Fast forward to this January night in NYC.  As I was enjoying my dinner at the bar of Houndstooth Pub, the woman next to me frustratingly exclaimed to her friend :”Jesus, Mary and Joseph....”  At which point I turned and said: “You must be from Boston.”  We then shared a lively, wonderful chat.  She’s from Southie.  Her Brother is the Widower of my Patient.  I was in tears. 
1BRFJ-HorizontalLogo-Blob
There have been meetings for VDay, One Billion Rising for Justice.  One was at ABC Carpet and Home, an amazing space, a store that has a well recognized restaurant.  I will go back to explore further.   (I am now Volunteer coordinator for the “Just Love” and “Rise NYC” events to be held at the Manhattan Center/Hammerstein Ballroom on February 14!).
4th U
As a natural segue, a Woman I met at the VDay meeting invited me to join a group of Ladies doing Eve Ensler’s “The Vagina Monologues” and “The Good Body”.  I went to the 4th Universalist Church on the Upper West Side across from Central Park and met yet more lovely Ladies.  I jumped in with both feet, am now the Bracelet Lady (can’t get away from those “B”things), amongst other bits and pieces.  The Organizer-Producer wanted to know where I came from.
77th Street Flea & Green Market
Flea Market
After that inspiring meeting I poked around the UWS stopping in at one of my favorite Flea Markets on Columbus and 76th Street, managing to find some treasures.  I then decided to do some food shopping and walked over to Trader Joe’s.  I am now used to lines in my new city, and waiting in them.  However, I draw the line! at waiting to enter a grocery store!  I found a perfectly good Fairway instead.
Happily my Philosophy Class started up again.  So many familiar friendly faces, and our tutor from last semester is with us again.  I believe she’s delighted as she comments often on the true bond our group has formed.  This session’s theme is “love”, already providing some interesting, if tough, discussions.
When I finally had that hot little package (my Cousin's Passport) in my hands, I walked to a UPS drop-off shop as I was not going to trust UPS Brown Boxes for this.  Only a human would do.  I passed an Ann Taylor Loft, and yes, did what was necessary, treated myself to a bit of therapy  A block later, I found “Mail Boxes and Beyond.”  It’s a tiny Mom and Pop store, and sitting behind the counter was a very grumpy Indian Man!  I wanted to laugh out loud and run.  It was pouring and I was hungry.  I smiled, gave it to the Gentleman, and said a little prayer.  The package arrived the next day, and my young Lady is leaving this week on her adventure. 
Stoops To Nuts: Story Tellers image
From  http://www.yorkvillestoopstonuts.blogspot.com/
Tali A. in fron of Cornelia St CafeTo continue my celebration of getting my Cousin’s passport sent off, I went down to the Village to the Cornelia Street Cafe for Tom Pryor’s  “City Stories: Stoops to Nuts,” a story-telling show. Tom has this event on the second Tuesday of every month.  I enjoyed a great meal, sitting with an interesting man, Otto, who published Tom’s book.   It was an amazing time.  I will be back.
Marie's Crisis
Piano & player @ Marie's
From there I headed down Bleeker Street, stopping in at a small shoe store, Toosh, whereupon the Salesman greeted me with: “You look tired.”  Not wanting to regale him with my tails of woe (the bureaucratic bs of my week), or unleash my wrath, I started laughing and proceeded to have a lot of fun with he and his Saleswoman co-worker.  Two pairs of boots, and a pair of sandals later, my therapy complete, I, ala Julia Roberts in “Pretty Woman,” very happily trotted over to one of my absolute favorites, Marie’s Crisis (Grove Street at 6th Ave), and had a couple of wonderful hours, leaving in time to catch the last set at my Sojourn.  
                        

No comments:

Post a Comment