Sunday, June 2, 2013

First Summer Weekend

                     "These are the days of miracle and wonder."  Paul Simon

In typical northeast fashion, the weather went from rainy cool spring to hot summer in less than a week.  I will not complain, for now.  It felt, good, if a bit sweaty, here in the city.
Unfortunately, and unusually, the Bolt Bus trips have been a bit of a nightmare this spring.  That is the trade off you make with buses.  You’re at the mercy of the roads.  Although the last epic ride that took 6 hours on a Friday afternoon I believe was due to a massive breakdown on Amtrak in Connecticut.  Not sure what the reason for this week’s was, but as usual, I can sleep, or at least dose most the way.
Sojourn
Arriving at 11pm instead of 8pm to the Hx3, I was starving.  Finding Kris at home, we went across to our ever faithful, and wonderful, Sojourn for a lite bite, which turned into multiple glasses of wine.  Thanks Guys, it’s wonderful being a regular (especially for me, in NYC)!
Saturday morning, I went to my Philosophy class, which I am enjoying more each week.  And, as fate would have it, this week’s topic was tailor made for the week I’ve had!  It’s kind of amazing how life works.  He truly does work in mysterious ways.
The young Lady in her 2nd year at NYU Dental School had texted me during the week to ask if I’d like to go to brunch after class.  We did.  We simply walked up to Madison and found a wonderful Italian restaurant, Serafina, where we enjoyed light fish dishes, and had a wonderful , long, visit.  Another new friend made in NYC!   
Walking home, I came upon one of NYC’s ubiquitous street fairs.  They pop up all over the city in the good weather.  This one was literally on our corner at 3rd Avenue and ran about 10 blocks.  Having now been fortunate enough to experience many of these, I still love them, even if they have the same “stuff” block after block.  Sometimes the “stuff” is exactly what you’re looking for.  The miniature bamboo plant I bought on our first weekend in the Hx3 is thriving. For me, this is no small feat, I do not have a green thumb, and have accepted that.)  This Saturday I found exactly the summer purse I was looking for, $20.  (Now I’ll return the one I bought at Marshalls last week.  It fell apart on day one..)  And, I found a wallet style cell-phone cover.  Very pleased, and celebrated by buying beautiful cherries on the way home.
Fences Cast At Work
Then Kris and I headed down to the Gene Frankel Theatre on Bond Street in the Village.  (She had performed there just about a year ago).  Original Binding Productions has a play in the Planet Connections Theatre Festivity running through June.  “Farewell to Sanity and Other Irrational Constructs (Or I’m not Crazy, but my Shrink Thinks I am)” which was written and directed by Tom Slot.  It was excellent!  Highly recommended!
I then headed back to the UES, and decided to treat myself to Sojourn’s amazing cheesecake for dessert.  And happily came home for a wonderful night’s sleep.
Sunday, I allowed myself to relax again.  I opened Uncle John’s letters and got totally immersed once again.  What a treat.  Mid-afternoon I walked a few block to Luke’s Lobster and brought home one of their amazing lobster rolls, cheaper than you can get them at home!  Then a little while later I ventured back around the corner.  Remember the great frozen yogurt place another new Friend brought me to in Chelsea, 16 Handles?  There is one 2 blocks away on 2nd Avenue!  And, I thoroughly enjoyed my yogurt while watching a typical Sunday evening scene on the UES.   I was, and am, very content.



No comments:

Post a Comment