Friday, June 14, 2013

Summer Rains..

"Like a welcome summer rain, humor may suddenly cleanse and cool the earth, the air and you."   Langston Hughes
Exchange Alley
Once again took the late bus down to Manhattan after work on Thursday night.  Friday I woke up to a pouring rain which lasted all day and night, but actually felt nice as it was warm.  Almost temped to take off my shoes and walk through puddles, but I draw the line on that in cities.  Kristi and I enjoyed a lovely lunch in the East Village @ Exchange Alley on E9th between 1st and A. I had a Blackboard Eats code so it was very reasonable at 30% off, and delicious in a great space!  I’d like to go back as they have live music on weekends nights.  Their motto (per their post card): "Greasy spoons make my spirits fly...thru the Lower East Side."
From there I decided to walk to the Flatiron District to meet a Lovely Lady I met at the Saturday afternoon workshop at the New Public Library a couple of months ago.  Walking through Union Square I finally fell upon the Strand Bookstore.  It had been on my “to do” list for years.  I spent a great half hour or so poking around.  Upon finding Beechers Cheese Cellar on Broadway between 19 &20, our meeting place, I also saw ABC Furniture Store, which is supposed to have an amazing restaurant.  Now I know where to find it. 
The Cellar at Beecher's Handmade CheeseWe spent a wonderful couple of hours over “Happy Hour” munchies and wine, so happy to have made another NYC Friend.  This young Lady is amazingly self-assured and together, proving I can learn from all ages!
I then meandered home to the Hx3 where Kris was finishing up some work.  We decided we owed it ourselves again, and went across the where they know our names, Sojourn.  We shared a lovely piece of Tiramisu, wine, and conversation.  And, Kris thinks that I was getting “hit on” by a visiting business man. Whatever, not my cup of tea earlier in my life, definitely not now!
Saturday I happily walked in the sunshine up 79th Street to my second to last Philosophy class.  I have really been enjoying it and sorry to see it end.  I think I will sign up for the second session in the Boston school this fall.  After I went to the other end of our street to have my piggies & toes (mani-pedi) done.  And, what did I come upon on 1st Avenue?  A street fair!  I got giddy, smiled, and had to poke around.  The NYC Street Fairs make me happy like carnivals did when I was a kid.  I found some treasures yet again; my assistance to this still dismal economy.
Early Piano Player @ Marie's
Frances HaI then headed downtown to meet my NYC Friend and her Friend (another new one for me!).  We saw a great Indie Film at the small IFC Theatre in the Village, Francis Ha.  It was a charming coming of age movie about a young woman artist (dancer) coming of age in NYC.  A theme I definitely can relate to, love, and support!
We then had a bite to eat at a great, cheap!, Mom and Pop Greek Restaurant on W4th and 6th Avenue, Karavas Place.  From there we spent a wonderful few hours at the piano of one on my favorite places, Marie’s Crisis.
Sunday I was up and out early, catching an 8:45 MetroNorth train out of Grand Central to White Plains.  The lady I met a few weeks ago at Cutlog, the art show on the LES, who runs Per Partes Project, had a pop up art show on the rooftop of Elements restaurant in the center of White Plains.  The show features a few artists, her including her Daughter, Lorin, a Photographer, and her ex-Husband, Cliff, a painter.  I spent a lovely Sunday helping a bit, having a wonderful lunch surrounded by like-minded people.  All day I thought of my Uncle, the one who introduced me to NYC all those years ago as he spent most of his adult life working in White Plains at General Foods. 
I ended the weekend on a sweet note, enjoying some frozen yogurt with Kristi at one of my favorite neighborhood haunts, 16 Handles! 

 
 

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete