Saturday, June 29, 2013

Time in the Parks



Sculpture near coffee cart
"Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul alike." 
                                                                                   John Muir   



Beakfast area
After a good night’s sleep after an uneventful bus ride Thursday, I woke Friday to a gorgeous summer morning.  Heading down to Chelsea for a Memoir writing class (free) at the Muhlenberg branch of the NYPL in Chelsea, I found a delightful coffee cart near Madison Square Park.  As always in Manhattan, so any interesting things pop up literally, to watch, to see, to enjoy.  My class was filled with a delightful cross section of people, as I’m finding in everything that I do in this city.

Save Our Skin event
Following the class I walked up to 5th Avenue, poked around one of those pop-ups and discovered it was for “Save our Skin”, promoting a new sunscreen product.  After getting some samples and admiring their setup, I meandered over to Madison Square Park, decided I wasn’t in the mood for Shake Shack (sacrilegious, I know). I admired an art exhibit by Orly Grenger, made of literally tons of nautical rope.

Orly Grenger's

Orly Grenger's work
 
Apples around the Big Apple
Daring Methods: The Prints of Mary Cassatt
From the NYPL website
From there I sauntered up 5th Avenue, stopping at a J Crew Sample sale and Lord and Taylor (where I tried to get a pic of Mariano Rivera selling his new perfume, but the crowds and security weren’t worth it.)  Managed  not to find anything I couldn’t live without, and continued a few blocks north to the main branch of the NYPL, one of my favorite buildings in NYC.  It was the last weekend of a Mary Cassatt exhibit, which was thoroughly enjoyable.
Entertainment at lunch
Entertainment after lunch
It was truly a picture perfect summer day.  I walked behind the library to Bryant Park to discover the BP CafĂ©.  I decided I owed it myself and had a lovely salad and proscecco while being totally entertained by a group of Bankers having a low-key meeting over beer!  I spent another couple of hours in the Reading Room of Bryant Park taking advantage of the magazines, newspapers (and books) offered by catching up on the New Yorker (with Mariano Rivera on the cover), and the Village Voice while being entertained by dance and music. (Monday evenings there are free films shown all summer!).
Yoga in Times Square
 I then headed up to Times Square where there was a Summer Solstice Yoga event all day.  Thousands of people doing free yoga at various classes all day into evening!  I discovered I could come standby for the latest class, but decided I didn’t feel like rushing home to change and get back.  So, I did the next best thing..I continued walking north and treated myself to glass of wine at one of my favs, The King Cole Bar at the St Regis Hotel.  I met a very nice Woman who works for American Airlines.  We traded numbers and plan to meet when she flies through again.  (I discovered the King Cole will be closing for awhile, so I’ll have to take her my other favs.)  She actually texted me to meet last night but I got down too late..next time.
Belvedre Fountain @ Twilight
Completing my day by walking home through Central Park, it was the longest day of the year, after all, I happily collapsed 12 hours after leaving home.
Boat Basin
Saturday, woke up to another perfect day, and walked up the street to my last Philosophy Class.  Most of the class has already signed up for Part 2 in September to continue the discussion..oh, so tempting..After class three other Ladies and myself shared a great lunch at a Diner on Lexington (cheap and delicious).  We have been invited to join a group from the class across that hall that is going to meet, discuss, and share in some adventures over the summer!  We then decided to have another coffee, so I brought them to the charming Boat House in Central Park.
Free Shakespeare in the Park: The Public Theater presents THE COMEDY OF ERRORS
Jesse Tyler Ferguson and Hamish Linklater
I walked to the West side to meet my NYC Friend.  We planned to wait in line at the Delacorte Theatre in Central Park and try to get standby tickets to the Public’s Shakespeare in the Park.  First we had a light bite and glass of wine on Columbus Avenue at a nice little WIne Bar.  We enjoyed a few hours at the Park, people watching, chatting, enjoying the summer evening waiting to get standby tickets.  Score!  We got in right before curtain call and had a wonderful evening of entertainment, Shakespeare’s Comedy of Errors.  A true gift to the city, it’s free!

Walking home..
After the play I walked through the Park to the East Side, very safely, as I was certainly not alone on this summer night.  I gave directions to 16 Handles to a young couple walking behind me on 79th Street when I heard them talking about wanting some ice cream.  I was told I was better than Google Maps!  Not ready to head in myself, I treated myself to dessert and a glass of wine at my neighborhood home away from home, Sojourn.  You know I love it when “they know my name”…
Laughter in the Park
Sunday I finally caught up with Kris for a bit.  Then, not wanting to waste another great summer afternoon I walked happily to the Park, again.  Laughter in the Park is NYC’s only free outdoor comedy series (www.mylaughs.org) played in Central Park.  The shows are for six Sundays from 2-4pm and rotate among Central Park, Tompkins Square Park, and Washington Square Park.  Wonderful sitting, laying on the grass, enjoying the Park with many, many people.  I then picked up salad and dessert at Citarella’s in the neighborhood for dinner and relaxation before heading back to reality.  An amazing summer weekend, so grateful.

 
















No comments:

Post a Comment