Thursday, May 10, 2012

Napa Day 2


 "The grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to                                             love, and something to hope for."   Joseph Addison


Photo courtesy of theri website
                 In preparation for this trip (isn’t that almost as fun as the trip itself?!), it was a real treat that the Wine Way Inn had recommendations on their website for “activities”.  So, with their recommendation I booked a day with a chauffeur! with Beau Wine Tours( www.beauwinetours.com).  Traveling alone is limiting in how much tasting you can do, so this was a way to be able to not worry about the driving, spend some time with other like minded people wanting to enjoy wine, and having somebody else make the decisions as to where to go!  Again, where to start with all the choices?  So it’s nice to have someone in the know guide you…and truth be told, I’m loving more and more when someone else makes decisions for me…)
Private Wine Tours of Napa Valley & Sonoma
Beau Wine Tours, from their website
            On Sunday night, Tom Paynter, “my” chauffeur called to tell me what time he’d pick me up and apolgize that he may be a bit late.  I assured him that was not an issue, on vacation with no time clock.  Isn’t that often the most wonderful part of vacation?  He also asked where I had already been so as not repeat any experiences.
When he arrived with the stretch limo I had a good little giggle.  Finally, my Chauffeur was driving me in the manner in which I should have been accustomed.  Besides checking out the limos, and “chatting” with the chauffeurs of my Daughters’ limos all those times in High School, I’ve been driven in a limo once, for my Dad’s funeral… So, to get into the stretch limo and have a lovely young Man pop a bottle of California champagne was surreal and wonderful!
Spring mustard season...
Spring mustard season, from their website
I spent the day with two lovely couples, aforementioned young man and his girlfriend who are college sweethearts, went to law school together at Columbia, and now practice and live in Midtown Manhattan.  The other couple was from Germany, here on Holiday.  They live near the German/French/Luxembourg border and work in banking in Luxembourg.  (Okay so most of the people who know me know my love for NYC, did you know that Germany is another of my favorite places?  Had the very fortunate opportunity to spend quite a bit of time there in my early adult life as my not so Gentleman Officer and Fighter Pilot flew there often.)  Interesting coincidences in life..or as an interesting Lady once said to me: “There are no coincidences, my Dear.”
Phot courtesy of theri website
2009 Chardonnay, Napa Valley
From theri website
Our first stop was Zahtila Vineyards, owned and operated by a woman named Laura.  So,obviously, I was going to love this place.  Carmen Meyer Tuerke, our tasting guide, or Agent of Hospitality as her card says, was lots of fun, and knowledgeable.  She shared with us Laura’s awesome story.  I am finding that pretty much Everyone has an awesome story, if you’re lucky enough for them to share it, and if you listen.  I came away with a bottle of their port style wine.  I love port, who knew California was making these?  Although like Champagne, if they’re not from Portugal, they can’t be called port.  They’re dessert wines, which often get a bad rap, or port-style.
Dutch Henry Winery
http://wineartlife.com/Next stop was Dutch Henry Winery where another English Chap was our guide.  At both Vineyards so far we were greated by very friendly mascots,Puppies!  I’m missing my Callie. I came away with a nice red blend of theirs called Argos.
View from Rutherford Hill Vineyard
At this point Tom decided it was time for food.  Up a hill we went and pulled into Rutherford Hill Vineyard (I do believe I’ve seen them at home, perhaps even had some.)  Because they’re on a hill, the view was magnificent, the day was sublime, and Tom produced an awesome picnic lunch from the trunk of our chariot.  It doesn’t get much better than this, as my Auntie would say!
After lunch we went into the Rutherford Hill Vineyard tasting room where I hate to say it, the very lovely Lady who was our “Guide” for that tasting should be working in a very uspcale Ladies’ Boutique (ala the one in “Pretty Woman” where Julia Roberts goes cleaned up after been kicked out the day before and utters one of my Daughter’s most favorite movie lines: “I was in here yesterday.  You work on commission, right?  Mistake, BIG Mistake.”  And walks out with her bags and hair to meander up Rodeo Drive..)  No sales made by her to us.
View from Rombaeur Vineyard
Moose Rombauer
Photo from their website
Finally, Tom took us to Rombauer Vineyards which has another stunning view, and was friendlier.  They even gave you the glass to take!  They’re famous for their chardonnays, but I bought their Zinfandel, learning to appreciate reds more.  Will have quite the party this weekend with my Sister and Brother in Law, and leave them with some gifts!  
It was a truly enjoyable, and fun day.  Although truth be told, I was a bit wined out! (Hard to believe, isn’t it?!)  For dinner, I went downtown to the Calistoga Inn for a very nice spring risotto, and yes glass of sauvignon blanc..  When in Rome, or Napa..
 Most, if not all, Vineyards now charge a tasting fee.  There are deals, 2 for 1’s etc., understandable, especially due to the economy and the popularity of Napa.  We’re all spoiled now as there are so many ways to get inexpensive wine at home.  Trader Joe’s, the NH Liquor stores, and Bin Ends are my personal favorites.  Buying direct from the Vineyards is not cheap, but they promise a better wine…




No comments:

Post a Comment