Sunday, May 13, 2012

Winter in Manhattan Odyssey Weekend Seven: Friday

    "Follow your bliss and the universe will open doors for your where there were only walls."    
                                                            Joseph Campbell
                  
                 Last couple of patients cancelled Thursday so I headed over to South Station to try and get on an earlier Megabus than the 9:30 one I was booked on.  I stopped by the desk to change my ticket and the young woman told me to just talk to the bus driver.  (I had missed buses in the past, and gotten on earlier..if there’s a seat, they’re usually very kind about it.)  Well, the 6 pm Bus Driver was not.  He denied three of us getting on early, there were seats available.  I was not pleased and shot off an email to MegaBus.  The 7pm Driver was kind, and let a few of us on who had booked later buses.  When I got “home” to NYC that night, I was grabbing a very late bite to eat, chatting with Roomie, and saw that MegaBus had responded to my email already.  I sent another thanking them, and commented on the courtesy and kindness of the second Driver.  They in turn thanked me for that and said it would be put into his file!  (MegaBus still continues to impress me.)
             Friday, woke up to sunshine, had coffee, showered, and decided to treat myself to a lovely lunch!  I had a lovely brisk walk across town, by the Park, to Central Park West.  I decided I deserved to check out Jean George (considered one of the best Chefs in the world).  His restaurant is located in the Trump Tower and Hotel. It amazes me that in the worst economy in our lifetime many very expensive places are flourishing.  The restaurant opened at 12:30pm.  I walked in through a gorgeous entry with vats of floating yellow chrysanthemums, to find the restaurant totally full.


 I made a reservation for an hour later and meandered over to the Time Warner Center, poked around some stores (bought some lovely Christmas gifts for the Girls!), and thoroughly enjoyed a Dali exhibit.  Not necessarily a fan usually, but these were large sculptures, and yes one of his big fat men was included…but included were some incredibly beautiful ones.  My favorite was a Dancer with her dress of two layers flowing.  I learned that Dali was a fan, and patient, and then friend of Freud, and a sculpture was included of his commemoration of their relationship.
Daytime @ Jean George from Stevie M.
Back to Jean Georges, and sat at the bar.  They offer a three course lunch for $30.  A deal in even a “regular” restaurant, and, I must say a bargain here.  The tuna tartare rivals my former favorite at the Modern at the MOMA (Museum of Modern Art), followed by slow cooked skate served over black beans, avocado, and a great sauce, and totally filling me up was blood orange pana cotta.  Wonderful.
Becoming an expert on my Iphone, I discovered a movie theatre close by on Broadway showing “The Fighter”, so off I went.  Another movie that Everybody said was excellent, and I must agree.  I always love seeing films based and filmed in Boston.  And, surprisingly, I have many connections to this movie, albeit a bit removed.  My Co-worker's cousin casted the Sisters and her close friend  is one of the producers!  One of the sisters is the Daughter in law of one of my Mom’s oldest friends.  Fun movie not so much, but moving, and excellent.
I had planned on heading to the Morgan Library and popping into the GIngerman to see K.  But, Roomie had texted me an invite to her Neighbor and Friends’ for dinner.  Not really hungry, but grateful for the thought, and the opportunity, I went.  Friend is a photographer who does a lot of NYC events, and celebrities (check out her website: www.twinimages.com.),  and her Husband is an ad executive at Ladies Home Journal.  Very interesting, and enjoyable.  An hour or so after we came home, Friend called to invite me to a gallery tour tomorrow! 

No comments:

Post a Comment