Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Winter in Manhattan Odyssey Weeknd Five: Saturday Afternoon

                                  "For fast acting relief, try slowing down."  Lily Tomlin

[Storefront.jpg]            On the road again, down Ave A to be exact to make my monthly payment on my wildly extravagant piece of art!  Every time I go to Galleria I go to the corner where "my" artists, Luis & Maria Pandora, have other pieces and I get reinforced, and excited, by my crazy buy!  (My piece was stored in the basement .)

                  Decided to go to the Whitney as it was still raw, and now flurrying.  So done with winter.  Walked along Houston to get the 6 train.  Passed by Mulberry Street where there’s a great little Designer’s Market on weekends that I love.  Decided I must stop in.  A couple of hours, a couple of $$ later, with bags in hand, decided to “bag” the museum.  Decided to head up to 55th and go the King Cole Bar at the St.Regis hotel instead. 

The King Cole Bar at The St Regis, from the website
        In my research of things to do in NYC, I had read that you must check out this bar.  It’s lovely.  Small, dark, with a gorgeous mural of King Cole and his court painted by Maxfield Parrish behind the bar!  I had my regular glass of wine, and like the Plaza, they put out lovely little bowls of munchies.  I was tempted by their special champagne cocktail but even I draw the line at treating myself to the tune of $30 for one drink!  
As I was finishing my wine a very distinguished Gentleman sat next to me.  He smiled, and I complimented his beautiful fedora which he told me was hand-made in Texas and a gift from a happy client.  We started chatting, nice discussion about many things.  He was amused, or bemused? by my many questions.  I explained that has been my mode of operandi for years, especially as a means to relax my patients.  He’s a corporate attorney and used to asking the questions, I think.  The conversation took a funny twist when he mentioned how much older than me he must be..I told him I was 53, when I asked he said he was 70.  (He’s in tremendous “shape”.) 
Distinguished Gentleman mentioned that he’s a golf widower as his Wife spends much time in Florida.  I inquired about children, five.  Grandchildren?  “Let’s not talk about that..”  So, was I getting picked up? (My Daughter said I was when I told her the story..)  Am I delusional?!  Anyway, we quickly issued our good days, and went on our very separate ways.  Definitely meeting all sorts.  But, that is the point, right?!
                I then sauntered home.  I love saying that.  “Home” to “my” New York apartment.  Roomie was home so we chatted a bit.  She went to relax by playing her computer games.  I retreated to “my” room, and truly just relaxed, napped even.  When I re-emerged Roomie’s Partner had arrived, and the three of us settled into a nice quiet TV evening.  We shared leftovers and a bottle of wine.  I’m beginning to give myself permission to just “be” in New York, not having to be on the run every waking moment.  Back to bed, my room was like a small quiet fortress.  I never heard the Teens arriving home and blowing up the air mattress in the living room.


No comments:

Post a Comment