Monday, May 14, 2012

Winter in Manhattan Odyssey Weekend Seven: Saturday

      "Of all the means to ensure happiness, by far the most important is friendship."  Epicurus

Met Photograher Friend in “our” lobby, and jumped in a cab together to the West Village.  She loves going to these gallery tours, and with Everyone’s crazily busy lives, often goes alone.  I was thrilled and delighted to join her as this was a “to do list” of mine, but it was daunting.  What made me feel good, and comfortable, was that even She feels it can be daunting and she’s an Artist.  Another wonderful afternoon and the weather was very co-operative as well.

Rafael Risemberg is a treat and his tour was amazing.   What is truly incredible is that Rafael started doing these for the love of it, and recently gave up a tenured teaching position at a New Jersey college to dedicate himself to this adventure full-time!  I keep meeting these amazingly brave people, perhaps it will eventually rub off on me?!  This particular tour was through the West Village and SoHo.  It was his first tour in the West Village.   (http://www.nygallerytours.com/.  212.946.1548 )


So much of Manhattan and its neighborhoods keep changing, much in direct correlation to the economy.  I can remember when SoHo became the haven for artists about 3o years ago due to its having decayed, but the spaces where open, and lent themselves beautifully to artists’ needs: cheap, big spaces with great light.  Then it became THE place.  Today on a Saturday afternoon it’s pretty tough to navigate the sidewalks with the crowds, locals and tourist alike, shopping.
With the shops, cafes, and tourists came the gentrification that forced Artists up to Chelsea, where there are around 300 galleries.  Unfortunately that neighborhood now is forcing many artists to the last bastion of “affordability” the Lower East Side.  So, actually, now it’s possible to find Galleries in neighborhoods all over Manhattan, which makes a gem like Raphael all the more valuable.
Being the extrovert that I am, I always end up chatting with People.  Our group this day was rather large, around 40 people.  But, before we started I had a lovely chat with a Canadian Woman who had just returned from working with an NGO in the Congo for three years.  She’s on a bit of a sabbatical until she settles into her next adventure.  My only regret is that I didn’t get her information, as she was truly interesting, and my thoughts are personally headed in that direction? (in dream shape at this point..)
             Another Lady I ended up chatting with a bit used to work w Tim Zagat and they’re the brainchildren behind “Restaurant Week”!  She now works for “Hillary”, in an Ambassador type program to make America friendly to the rest of the world.  I do have her info, and I will be getting in touch!

After the tour, Photographer Friend and I met up with her 16 year old Daughter for a bit of shopping and a bite to eat.  They’re both delightful and fun company!  Then we jumped in cab for the ride home.
Roomie was home when I got there with Partner, and the Teens were out and about.  We had a wonderful chat.   These are definitely erasing the business relationship and forging what I feel is a wonderful, deep friendship.  Ended up just hanging in for the evening, drinking Prosecco, eating crackers and cheese, and getting to know, and care for my New Friends more and more.  Great night.

No comments:

Post a Comment