Monday, May 7, 2012

Winter in Manhattan Odyssey Weekend Six: Monday

                            "If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun."  Kate Hepburn

Monday morning got up, and relatively slowly made my way out the door.  As I was leaving, Roomie was ordering various forms of bagels for themselves, to be delivered.  Gotta love it, anything you want can be delivered!  One of K’s good friends describes this phenomenon as having lots of servants, of all nationalities, who will deliver any type of food you want, depending on your mood.  (Speaking of class, she in no way means that condescendingly, or with snobbery.  It’s just a wonderful fact!)  We can’t get Papa Gino’s to deliver to our house in Milton as we’re 1 mile past their zone….
from Muffy
Piece from the Exhibit, from the website
My destination was the Cooper Hewett Design Museum on 91st and 5th.  The Cooper Hewett is part of the Smithsonian and was hosting the largest exhibit ever of Van Cleef and Arpels jewelry.  OMG, what an exhibit it was!  I have never seen such magnificent, extraordinary jewelry in one place at one time, not to mention the beauty of the Museum Itself.

My view across Fifth Avenue outside the Cooper Hewitt Design Museum
I then wandered toward home, looking for a place to grab a bite.  I found a cute little Italian place, Bella Cuciuna on Lex (Lexington) & 81st.  An unpretentious Mom and Pop place, serving real “old school” Italian, although trying to be healthy, I had a delicious cup of minestrone, a nice piece of grilled Tilapia served with orzo in Marinara sauce, a glass of wine all for under $30.  The Owner, another distinguished older Gentleman, stopped by my table and chatted.  On the way out, I stopped by his “desk” at the front and explained I had thoroughly enjoyed my meal, thank you.  He apologized, and said he had gotten caught up doing paperwork, and had meant to buy me a drink.  I said, next time!  Am I now getting “hit on” by old men, or was he merely being polite?!! 
Click here to see full catalogue details.
A young Lena Horne
  Off again, now to find Lena Horne’s Estate sale.  I found it sad, and depressing, that this Icon of the American Art World’s possessions had come to this.  Although I personally figured this out after the death of a Beloved Uncle a few years ago, that all of our stuff, is just that.  Stuff.  It may mean a lot to us, or not, but after we’re gone it’s stuff that to those left behind can sometimes just be a big PIA.  But, then, I thought, maybe Lena’s stuff may be bought by someone who truly was a fan, and they’d be thrilled to have a piece of American lore.  Anyway, I went to Doyles’ Auction House on East 87th for a look.   Not only was some of Ms. Horne’s belongings up for view before the auction, but alot of other beautiful things.  Truth be told, it was an interesting way to spend an hour or so. 

Exterior view
Andre's
As I headed south again, I walked along 2nd and saw Andre’s, a small Hungarian restaurant I had coffee and pastry in before, so I went in for dessert.  A decadent piece of chocolate-raspberry cake, and glass of dessert wine later, I then went home to get ready for a night of music with K and friends.
Mirror behind the bar @ Marie's Crisis from Curley B.
Originally I was heading home to Boston on Monday evening, but K had told me that she and some Friends had decided to make Monday evenings a night to go to Marie’s Crisis in the West Village (59 Grove Street between Bleeker and 7th Ave), a piano bar in the Village.  I changed my flight to very early Monday morning, booked a car to pick me up, and a small Group  went down to the Village (love saying stuff like that!), to Marie’s Crisis.  I love this place, a nondescript gay bar in a basement, with a rotation of piano players who play show tunes surrounded by all these young singers-actors with the dream of Broadway in their hearts, eyes, and voices.




No comments:

Post a Comment