Saturday, May 12, 2012

Spa Day in Napa

"The world is full of people looking for spectacular happiness while they snub contentment."
                                                    Doug Larson
                The first, and only other time I had been in Napa was twenty-five years ago.  I had talked my Brother’s Girlfriend, now Wife, into coming to San Francisco with me to crash in his Hotel room.  He was there on business and always stayed in pretty special places.  It was quite amusing to see how frustrated he got with all our “girl stuff” making a mess of his room.  Apparently he had changed from when we were kids as he now liked his room just so!  We took one of those days and spent it in Napa, specifically Calistoga.  As this was well before the internet days, I don’t remember how I planned for that trip, but I knew I wanted to head here.
                We had a wonderful day, beginning with a spa morning at Dr Wilkerson’s, the first mud bath and spa in the area.  That was followed by a wonderful lunch and some wine touring.  As I was driving that day, and doing just a day trip from San Francisco, I had to be careful then as well.  I remember touring Berringer’s, the popular wine of the day, especially for its white zinfandels.  Yes, I was a fan.  Time and tastes do change!  That was followed by Sterling Vineyards, which today is considered one of the highlights of the Calistoga area.  It’s a treat as you take a tram up the hillside to get to it, and the architecture is beautiful.  Our finally vineyard that day was Menage a Trois.  It was tiny at the time run by a couple full-filing its dream (a familiar theme in Napa).  I see that wine often at home now, and the Vineyard looks to have tripled in size in those years.  That quick trip was precisely why I wanted to stay in Calistoga this time.
ShiveIMG6183
Indian Spring Spa, photo from their website
I decided to upscale my spa experience a bit.  Calistoga now has many spas to choose from.  Again, I relied on the Wine Way Inn website and chose one “out of the hat”.  I spent the better part of my last full day at Indian Springs Resort.  What a treat!  It was a nice walk through town from my Inn to get there, and it’s a lovely place.  Upon entering the Spa building, I immediately relaxed.  It smelled wonderful.  I checked in and was quickly brought to the locker room to change into a comfy robe. 
                I then was ushered into the mud bath room, took a quick warm shower to rinse off, whereupon I was guided into a bathtub full of hot mud.  The Attendant then covered my body totally with mud including cheeks and chin.  This is supposed to open pours and smooth skin.  It’s quite an interesting experience, was in there for 10-12 minutes, which was plenty.  Then, of course, a shower to get all the mud off, and into another warm mineral bath for about ten minutes.  I then spent some time in the very hot steam room.
56460003
Buddha Pool, from their website
                At that point I was brought to my own room and wrapped in warm blankets.  After a short rest, Marco Gonzales came to bring me to his massage room.  He gave me one of the best massages I have ever had.  He includes a wonderful massage of the face.  Following that, Marco led me into the garden that houses the Buddha Pool.  Relaxed there for a bit and then headed to the pool.  From their website:
Pool , from theri website:
                "A trip to Indian Springs is not complete without experiencing our Olympic-sized mineral pool. The pool is the heart and soul of Indian Springs. Built in 1913, the Mission Revival-style pool replaced the original 19th century "plunge."  The view from the pool is of the nearby mountains and steam rising from Indian Springs' geysers. The 230-degree geysers keep the mineral pool at 102 degrees in the winter and 92 degrees in the summer. The water's warmth adds a healing element to the bathing experience...soak, rest and then soak some more."
                I made one mistake that day.  I tried to do too much.  I didn’t go into the pool as I wanted to try to get to one more Vineyard, Frog’s Leap.  My younger Daughter had been camp counselor to the owner’s daughter at Skylake @ Yosemite Camp  one of her college summers.  And, two patients recommended it the week before my trip.  Alas, too much to do in too little time. Next visit.
Vermeill Tasting Room. from their website
                Instead, on the walk home to my Inn, I stopped into a couple of tasting rooms right in Calistoga.  Dick Vermeill, a famous football coach, has Vermeill Vineyards with lovely tasting room with lots of memorabilia from his football days.  Was given a free tasting by a nice young lady, and the wines were quite good.   And, I also went into August Briggs (love their label, real wine connoisseurs hate to hear this, but that is often how I buy wine at home!), where I enjoyed some time with yet another nice Lady, and tasted some more great wines.  Their $5 tasting fee is waived if you buy wine.
Bar @ Barolo where I ate, from their website


                After some time back at the Wine Way Inn reading, writing, and relaxing (in the afternoons Inn Guests are invited to have some lovely Cabernet that the wine has produced for itself), I meandered downtown again for dinner.  I was tempted to eat at Jole again, but the chicken at Barolo was highly recommended, so I went there.  It was delicious, almost embarrassed myself as I ate every possible nugget, and wanted to gnaw on the bones, but I didn’t.  Both Jole and Barolo are located in the Mount View Hotel.

(All the quotes from my Napa trip I found on stones in the grass along the walkway of the Indian Springs Spa and Resort. I totally missed them on the way in, but noticed, and took the time to read and write them down on the way out!...Interesting..)
                       Tomorrow I will have my last amazing breakfast and head out to Truckee, in the Lake Tahoe area, to visit my Sister’s family.  Excited to see the Munchkins, and my Sister and Brother in Law! and go to a seven year old’s baseball game!



No comments:

Post a Comment